Lightning Does Strike Twice

It felt like I had come full circle, what with the storm that was battering the street, me peeping out of the window watching it and of course watching Pete, who was outside sitting in his car waiting for a break in the rain before attempting to run to the house.

I loved sitting by the window in the front room of the house looking out into the street on days like this, watching the world go by as I sat there feeling warm and safe, whilst those outside were cursing the weather, cold and miserable. 

Don’t get me wrong I also liked it when it was hot outside too, especially so warm that many of the guys passing by would be shirtless. 

However, when it was stormy it always transferred my thoughts back to camp when I first openly fell in love with Pete, and here he was living with me in Adam’s little terraced house and reaching the ripe old age of nineteen in a couple of weeks.

Whoa, three years of ups, downs, tears (mainly from me), trauma (okay, mainly from me too), tantrums (Yes, I know … me again), companionship, bliss, warmth, SEX and true love, and I wouldn’t change one bit, oh well maybe the beating I took, but even that had its flip side as it brought us together again.

I left the window, went to the back kitchen and filled the kettle ready to make a hot drink for us both.  I had finished college early today so had time to sit and ruminate at the window before I had to get ready for my evening job at the local pub, and before Pete got home from his last class in college and Adam from work. 

It wasn’t that I was domesticated, we all took turns, it’s just that whoever got in first made the drinks when the others arrived, though today being Wednesday and my early night at the pub, Pete would have to sort out Adam on his return from work later as I would be out.

I was hoping the storm would calm before I had to leave, as I didn’t fancy getting wet through before I had even started.  Though now the pub had been taken over by some chain we had to wear a uniform and not whatever we fancied, so at least that would be dry in the staff room.

Just as the kettle boiled, the front door crashed open as Pete bounded in soaking and cursing.  I had left it unlatched so at least he didn’t have to fiddle about getting the key in the door and getting soaked at the same time.

“Hiya babe,” he yelled through the house, “pop the kettle on I am spitting feathers”

I walked toward the hall and flung my arms around a dripping Pete, kissed him and whispered into his ear, “It’s already done and the tea is brewing, so it will be ready for after I’ve sucked you dry.”

“Hmm, though I am soaking babe and Adam will be home in a sec”

I drew back, “you refusing my offer.  Okay what’s his or her name?”

“What,” he asked, looking totally bewildered, “you know me better than that”

“It’s okay, you numpty, I was joking with you”

“Oh, right, I was just cold and wet so wanted to get in before you jumped on me for sex”

“I don’t care how wet you are shug, I just wanted to let you know how much I love you,” I whimpered, now feeling a little discarded.

Pete must have sensed I was slightly hurt by his standoffishness, pulled me toward him, kissed me passionately, and then started on my neck and ear, knowing that I would succumb to him straight away if he did this, as it was my ultimate weakness.

As he pulled me in closer to him I suddenly realised how cold and wet he really was and I felt so guilty at stopping him from getting dried and changed.