Chapter Four - Milkshakes

Start from the beginning

Later on, I said goodbye to everyone and went straight to Najma and Rizwan's house. Najma opened the door and hugged me.

"Oh my gawsh! I thought you were never going to come around." Najma said, ushering me in.

"What are you on about? It's only been 3 days." I said, walking upstairs.

"Yeah but still.." Najma drifted off, behind me. Suddenly it hit me.

"You know you could see Shehry without me." I smirked, sitting down on her bed. Najma's mouth turned into an 'O' shape. She hit me on the arm playfully.

"Zara! Don't say stuff like that!" She said, blushing red like a tomato.

"But seriously, I need to tell you something." I said, telling Najma everything from seeing Shehry at university to going to their house to meeting Nosh. Najma's reactions, however, were priceless.

"NO WAY! OMG! THEY WANT YOU?!" Najma shouted.

"Najma please stop scream-" I started to say before I got cut off by Rizwan entering the room.

"Sometimes I want to move out and live alone in peace and quiet." He sighed, sitting on the bed casually. Rizwan was wearing a white shirt with a black tie and black trousers. I realised he had come back from work.

"Hey Riz. How was work?" I asked him. For some reason, he started smiling. Let me tell you here that seeing Rizwan smile genuinely was a rare sight. He was always sarcastic and would sometimes smirk, or laugh at Najma.

"It was alright." Rizwan answered back.

"Riz, you would not believe what happened to Zara!" Najma butted in. Rizwan rolled his eyes.

"What happened?" He sighed.

"Okay, so Zara met up with the Dhoombros again a few times, without me, and they want her to go with them to New York for their first movie!" Najma said in one breath, pausing and glaring at me halfway to signify that I shouldn't have gone to Waqas's house by myself.

"Seriously? You're right Najma, I don't believe this. Are you sure?" Rizwan said, turning his head back and forth to me and Najma. I nodded.

"But I said that I would first ask Khala before anything, so I don't know if I'm going." I said nervously. Rizwan nodded.

"Good girl. Now if it was Najma, she would have been halfway to New York by now." Rizwan said, patting me on the head. I chuckled. It was true. Najma did tend to get excited sometimes. Najma ignored Rizwan and grabbed my wrist, tugging me downstairs. Rizwan followed behind us.

"Woah, Najma, wait! Where are we going?" I called to her but with no reply. Before I knew it, we were standing in front of Khala, who was drinking tea at the dining table.

"Najma, Zara beta, kya hua? (What happened?)" She asked us. Why did all parents get concerned when we go to them?

"Kuch nahi (Nothing) Kha-" I tried to say but Najma cut me off.

"Mom, Zara has something to tell you." Najma said, more like demanded. Khala looked at me, waiting for me to talk.

"Hussain and Shehryaar are making a movie with their cousins, and they're going to New York this weekend. They want me to go with them and audition for the movie." I said nervously. I swear, I feel like my heart was going to beat out of my chest.

"What? New York? But that's so far!" Khala frowned.

"Khala, if you say so, I won't go." I said, seeing that it was difficult for her.

"Beta, I think the most important thing here is to see what you want. If you want to go, then you can." Khalu said. I didn't see him sitting next to Khala also drinking tea.