"This is Tony." Jennifer said quietly. "Hes going to be taking care of you."

Tony leaned down, offering a gentle smile. "Hi Peter."

Peter blinked, forgetting to close his mouth. "Hi Mister Tony."

Tony stifled a grin. Apparently the kid was as uncomfortable as he was.

Jennifer turned to Peter. "You know how I said I was going to try and find your daddy?"

Peter hesitated.

Pepper leaned forward. "Peter, sweetheart. This is your dad. We came to see if you wanted to come live with us now."

Peter hugged his knees. "Okay." His voice sounded muffled.

Pepper leaned forward, directing her gaze at Jennifer. "Would we be able to take him now? I can draw up the paperwork necessary on our part."

Jennifer shrugged. "If that's what he wants."

"I want to." Peter said quietly.

Jennifer gave him a soft smile. "Enjoy your new home, kiddo. I'm going to miss you."

Peter came around the desk to give her a hug. "Bye Miss Jenny."

----------------

Pepper ushered the two into a car with tinted windows.

There was a driver up front, which surprised Peter.

"Happy, drive." Tony said firmly.

The driver glanced back. "What's with the kid?"

Peter grinned impishly at him. "I'm Peter. Are you some sort of bodyguard? Cause you look a lot like one, with the sunglasses and dark suit-"

The divider rolled up.

--------------

Pepper showed Peter to his room when they arrived, while Tony headed directly for the lab.

The woman rolled her eyes, and made a mental note to tell Friday to lock Tony out of the lab for a couple of hours.

"Ms. Potts?" Peter said shyly. "I don't- I mean- is there-"

She squeezed his shoulder. "Hang on, sweetie. I'm going to get your dad. Can you wait right here for me?"

Peter nodded quickly. "I'm good at being quiet," he informed her.

Pepper smiled. "I'm sure you are. Ill be right back."

She left, and Peter took in his surroundings.

His new dad seemed like a nice person, even though he didn't talk much. Ms Potts was nice. She had a pretty smile.

And his room was big.

A knock startled him out of his thoughts, and he peered over the back of the chair. "Hello?"

The door opened, and a man came in, giving him a smile. "Hey bud. My name is Rhodey. Pepper asked me if I could sit with you while she talked to Tony. That okay with you?"

Peter nodded shyly. "Hi Mr Rhodey."

Rhodey grinned, waving his hand. "Just Rhodey is fine, kid."

They sat in comfortable silence for several minutes.

"Do you go to school?" Rhodey crossed his legs under him as he waited for an answer.

"Yeah. I like Science, Mr- Rhodey."

Rhodey smiled again. He seemed to do that a lot. "Really? What kind of science is your favorite?"

The boy perked up. "Ms Jenny said I'm smart for my age, and she would let me do hard 'quations sometimes. I know lots of big words too, like photosyn'th'sis." He hesitated. "Do you think my new dad would let me do 'quations?"

Rhodey scratched his chin. "I don't see why not. He likes to do really complicated ones too.

Peter hugged his knees. "Does my dad like me?"

Rhodey frowned. "What do you mean?"

"It's just-" Peter hesitated. "He went away when we got here. And he didn't talk to me."

Just then Pepper reappeared, and spotting Rhodey, gave him a relieved grin. "Rhodey! So good to see you. This is a PR nightmare. Someone saw us taking him, and took pictures. Could you watch him while I take care of this?"

The man gave her a thumbs up. "Me and Pete here are getting to know each other. I think we might go to the kitchen for lunch soon. Sound good bud?"

Peter nodded. "Ms Pepper?"

She turned her gaze to him. "Yeah?"

"Does my dad like me?"

The question seemed to blindside her, and she blinked quickly. "Of course he does Peter! He's just busy."

He accepted that answer, turning to tug on Rhodey's sleeve. "Can we cook noodles?"

The man laughed. "Noodles it is." He scooped Peter up, lifting the boy onto his shoulders as Peter squeaked in delight. "Let's go eat!"