Chapter 4

I know this took a while to get up, but hey, it's here now.

*-*-*-*IMPORTANT TO THE STORY!*-*-*-*

I didn't like how there were so many "K" and "C" sounds for the names. Casey, Calix, Cassandra, Keely, and the upcomming Kyros. So there has been a change to break it up.

The sister Cassandra is now-Zula (these still mean the same thing and that's what's important.)

I'm going to change Casey's name when I find a suitable one.

The town they live near is now called Webster Springs in West Virginia. (Nice looking town, suitable for the story.)

That's it! Continue reading with this news in mind.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see Astrid standing at the door with the same worried look on her face. “Get in here!” I scream at her. She does as I say without protest, eagerly waiting for instruction. The air is thick with panic and awkwardness, anyone could sense it.

Mom turns to me, “Go to your room and stay there!” she orders.

“No, I’m staying here!” I shout at her without thinking. I don’t shout at my mother, it’s just not something a person does.

“Don’t argue with me Casey, I’ll be fine, he didn’t mean to hurt me. You staying here will only anger him; I know what you two are like, always thinking the other is in the wrong. No, stay in your room and let me talk to him, calm him down. I’ll let you know when I want you to come out.”

She pushes me a little towards the hallway. “Zula, you go to your room too. And, Astrid was it? You and Calix can join Casey in his room, I’m certain you’ll have ample entertainment.” There’s cheekiness in her voice that makes me feel more inclined to do as she says.

I start to move down the hall. Grandma Sophie has just finished speaking with Astrid, holding one of her hands in her own. Astrid seems to be fluent in Grandma Sophie, a language we have all failed at attempting.

Zula enters her own room, I hear her lock it from the inside. Calix, Astrid and I all burst into my room. It’s trashed. Of all the rooms we cleaned, I never considered checking my own. Its stupidity, but I’m going to call it considerateness.

Of course my room would be the one Oliver would destroy the most. I am so annoyed at him, furious even; all my possessions are broken and ripped to shreds. I’m ready to leave this room and tear into him, do to him what he did to this house. Destroy him. Astrid catches my attention before I’m able to burst back through the door, she hops over the remains of my things to my broken window like a child leaping from river stone to river stone.

“What are you doing?” I ask her.

“I’m escaping” she says as she tries to lift the pane. She says it like it’s the obvious thing to do. She struggles to open the window.

“Why? Why do you need to escape?” I ask, confused.

“Did you not see what was coming down that road?” she shrieks. With a final pull she lifts the window up and kicks out the fly-wire. She wastes no time with her swift exit and starts sprinting back towards the forest where I found her.

“Wait!” I yell at her. She doesn’t turn back; she just keeps speeding across the open ground. I turn to Calix, “come on!”

I clamber out the window and fall in a heap on the ground. I land on my shoulder and the rest of my body falls over me. I roll over to my feet and check myself. Calix is a lot slicker, holding onto the sides of the window frame and swinging out feet first. Together we race after Astrid, who has just slipped away into the trees.