Chapter 4

Kaneki sighed, rolling over on his bed, his mind recalling the bloodlust that almost overwhelmed his rationality when in face with the terrible injury a child obtained.

Burying his face in his pillow, he groaned, the sound muffled.

A pitter patter of steps invaded his ears, the steps meant to be small and light, the owner purposefully keeping them mostly silent. Although his sharp sense of hearing, used to perceiving even the smallest of noise in his vicinity has picked up on the footsteps outside the bedroom.

He turned his body, now laying on his back as he put an arm behind his head and stared at the ceiling, just in time as the door creaked open.

Kaneki turned his head, gaze falling on Phil's blue eyes.

"Kaneki, whatcha doin?" The four year old grinned.

"Just laying down." The white haired child sat up as the younger child passed the other's bed's and stopped in front of the half ghoul's.

"You okay?" The younger asked, concern lacing his voice.

"Yeah..." Kaneki huffed, reaching out and ruffling the dark brown locks.

The younger stared, his gaze knowledgeable and aware. Kaneki smiled.

"You were always too smart for your own good." The half ghoul blinked, eyes closing for a second before opening to reveal mismatched eyes that stared coldly into wide blue ones.

Four red tentacles extended slowly from his lower back, encircling the white haired child's body, the tips pointing to the small human who stood still, eyes following the appendages as they stopped in front of his face.

Breath stuttering, the four year old exhaled shakily, eyes moving to stare at the white haired child's own pair.

"Hey Phil." Kaneki whispered, "Wanna know a secret?"

"Now everyone! Time to say goodbye to Norman!" Isabella and Norman were at the front door ready to leave.

The children voiced their farewells, some bursting into tears as Norman crouched down to their level, giving hugs and wiping away tears as he smiled.

Phil and Kaneki entering a moment later, hand in hand as they went up to Norman. Phil letting go of the older's hand as he went up to give the leaving orphan a hug, said orphan reciprocating the gesture as he looked up into grey eyes.

Separating from Phil, Norman stood up, opening his arms for the fellow white haired child.

The boy didn't really get too close with anyone, so it was a surprise to see both him and Phil with hands joined as they entered.

The seven year old was reserved, spent most of the day by himself with a book or out of sight. Norman didn't even know what the younger did when he wasn't around.

Kaneki rarely spends time with anyone, he just pops up and leaves randomly, but Isabella hasn't shown concern so Norman didn't show interest.

Even if both boys haven't really bonded that deeply compared to Ray or Emma, Kaneki was still his brother, a family member, even if this family isn't normal by any means, so he offered an embrace.

Norman smiled when the seven year old stepped up and wrapped his arms around. Smile faltering a bit as he heard the words the younger whispered.

"See you later. You'll be alive." Kaneki angled his head that rested on the older's chest, an eye meeting shaky blue ones as he leaned back, expression monotone as he turned and went back the way he came, calmly walking out of sight.