Ch. 106 Birthday

Depuis le début

"Third Young Madam, please wait."

Chu Lian paused and turned back to look, only to see Matriarch He's handmaid Muxiang and a few maidservants carrying some exquisite wood boxes.

Muxiang hurried over in two strides. "Third Young Madam, the weather has turned cold, so the matriarch has sent this servant over to escort you to Songtao Court."

Thus, with Muxiang supporting her arm on one side and chatting to her, Chu Lian returned to Songtao Court. Following that, Muxiang instructed the maidservants behind her to place the brocade-lined boxes on the parlour's table.

"These are some rewards that the Empress Dowager bestowed upon the matriarch. There's a handsome white fox fur coat within; it's quite a rare treasure due to its purity. The matriarch said that a white fur coat like this wouldn't suit her at her age, but it will fit Third Young Madam perfectly. There are also a few brand new exquisite ruby and sapphire accessories. The matriarch ordered this servant to bring these over to Third Young Madam as well because they'll go along perfectly with the outfits the palace sent over for you!"

Chu Lian accepted the gifts and had Senior Servant Zhong send Muxiang off. She returned to her own little study, knowing very well that these gifts were Matriarch He's way of compensating her.

She had taken a look at that white fox coat earlier. It was brand new and hadn't even been worn, so it was indeed a rather expensive gift. If not for that ruckus today, this fox coat would most likely have been given to that sister-in-law of hers, Madam Zou.

Of course, the reason Chu Lian knew this was because she had read about it in the story before.

However, due to her arrival, she had changed some of the events.

Just as Chu Lian was about to sink into her thoughts, Wenlan came in to pass a message. "Third Young Madam, Manager Qin has come over. He's waiting in the parlour outside."

Chu Lian stood up to meet Manager Qin.

In less than fifteen minutes, they were done with the meeting and Manager Qin left.

Senior Servant Gui had been standing behind Chu Lian during the meeting. She had a bewildered expression on her face as she asked, "Third Young Madam, what is this about?"

Just now, she had watched as Chu Lian gave Manager Qin a letter and listed out three questions. Manager Qin was to put up these three questions at the entrance of Guilin Restaurant with a notice to announce that anyone who could answer all three questions correctly would get a free meal at Guilin Restaurant.

Chu Lian smiled mysteriously. "Don't worry, momo! It's not anything bad. It'll be a surprise!"

Senior Servant Gui was even more confused. She couldn't even start to guess at what her master was trying to do now.

Nonetheless, with Chu Lian's guarantee, Senior Servant Gui felt reassured.

In the afternoon, someone from the outer court came to ask Chu Lian for her reply to He Changdi's letter.

The manservant who had come was Senior Servant Liu's son, who was working in the outer court.

Actually, Chu Lian had already prepared the letter and the accompanying package yesterday.