I almost expected her to come and bother me again, but she didn’t. She went to fill her cup and then left the place. Just before getting out, she turned back to look at me.

She had a blank expression on her face. Just like Liam did to people all the time to tick them off, I smirked at her. It worked, because her blank expression quickly turned into a scowl.

That’s what I thought I said to myself.

Once my order was ready, I grabbed the paper bag and made my way out. After that strange encounter, I really wanted to be alone.

All the noise at the burger joint was getting to me. I got stopped twice. The first time it was a guy, no doubt trying to flirt. I only put a hand up and walked away. The second was a bubbly girl, wearing too much make up.

I probably should’ve been making friends. Considering I didn’t know how long I had to stay in that area, it sounded like a good idea.

If that girl asking me who I was hadn’t approached me, I probably would’ve stayed to talk. Now, I just felt annoyed.

I stepped out into the fresh air, and hugged my thin sweater closer to my body. I was cursing myself for not bringing a bigger jacket.

The smell of rain was all over the area and a light coat of drizzle was falling. I hardly felt it, but it was still there, making everything feel colder.

I got in my car and turned on the heater full blast. When I reversed out of the parking space, a truck three spots to the side did that same.

I shrugged it off as a coincidence.

Two streets down with the same truck behind me made me realize it was no coincidence. There was no way the people behind me were going to the same place and had left at the same time as me.

Instead of driving to the apartment, I made a few more turns and kept going until I reached a large supermarket. I had been planning to go grocery shopping, so I figured I’d kill two birds with one stone.

I quickly parked the car, and made my way to the store. There was no way I was staying outside alone more than I should. A few people were walking to their cars or into the store, but it was still dark and I wasn’t risking it.  

The same girl from the burger place got out of the truck, but she was with two more guys. The three of them had black hair. Despite the girl’s soft appearance, there was something dangerous about her look. The two guys- they looked built like statues and people I definitely didn’t want to mess with.

I walked into the supermarket, trying to look casual while also hurrying up.

Once I was safely inside, and surrounded by a lot of people, I took out my cell phone.

“Hey Char.” Estella’s warm voice made me relax immediately.

“I need to talk to Adam. Is he around?” I asked her, checking out my surroundings.

I couldn’t see the girl or the two other guys anymore.

“Yeah, we’re still on our way but we stopped for the night,” Estella told me.

On the background, I heard her yell out for Adam.

“Cool,” I said, grabbing random stuff and dumping them in the cart I was pushing around.

“You’re good?”

“I am, I just need to talk to Adam,” I told her.

“Oh, he’s here,” she barely got to say that, before Adam took the phone from her.