Chapter Twenty Two: A Thousand Open Mouths

Start from the beginning

“Well then, I guess they were right.” I shrugged.

“It can’t be that big of a deal, though, right?” Jessica asked, turning to look at Charlotte. “I mean, do they really care if Reece and I are dating?”

“Considering you were able to snag the oh-so terrifying Reece Bremer with a reputation for doing oh-so terrible things, it might be a big deal to some people,” Charlotte answered.

“Don’t you know, though? The oh-so bad boy is going soft,” Jessica winked at me. I grinned and shook my head. I did admit that, didn’t I?

Charlotte sighed dramatically, fanning herself. “And I repeat: you guys are so cute!”

At the sound of the bell, I wrapped my arms around Jessica, saying, “C’mon, I’ll walk you to class.”

“Ooo, so he is going soft,” Charlotte teased, grinning slyly at us before she turned and walked away. Students were filing into Jessica’s first class by the time we got there. Some glanced at us as I pulled Jessica to a stop in front of the doorway, but I paid them no attention.

“Here you are, sunshine,” I said with a grand gesture to her math class.

I caught the hesitance in Jessica’s movements as she turned and wrapped her arms around my neck. Planting a smile on her face to play it off, though, she said, “Thank you very much for walking me to class.”

Smiling softly, I slipped one hand on the base of her neck, brushing my thumb across her skin as I leaned closer. Something flickered in those turquoise eyes of hers as I brushed my lips against hers, but I smiled as she leaned up and pressed her lips against mine more firmly.

Atta girl, I thought as I kissed her once, and then another. I knew we caught the attention of people when a single whistle reached my ears and a chorus of hollers followed. Jessica pulled back and stared at me with narrowed eyes, any trace of worry gone as if it was never there.

“Leave me to answer the questions first, huh?” she whispered.

I grinned. “You can get me back next period,” I answered quietly, and kissed her one last time before releasing her completely. “Have fun.” I winked and left her to deal with the open mouthed classmates that just witnessed the two most incompatible people kiss several times in the middle of the hallway.

* * *

Jessica didn’t get me back in American Government, besides the nearness of her chair to mine and the playing with my fingers under the desk as the teacher lectured. But as I sat on top of our table later in biology, waiting for class to begin, Jessica had walked through the door with purpose and kissed me long and soft on the lips.

“I called it!” Kyle shouted as I pulled Jessica closer and returned her kiss.