Chapter Ten - Stay Strong

Joey's POV

I thought I could keep it in and pretend that everything was okay, but everything wasn't okay and sooner then expected Aunt Alice saw through all this pretending.

I didn't know how to feel and trust me I've tried feeling.. And every time I try, I end up failing miserably.

"How long?" Aunt Alice raised her voice at me waiting for a response, "I'm not gonna ask you again."

"Almost a month." I say under a whisper.

"And why did you not tell me this?"  She asks, her voice full of disappointment.

"Because I thought of what you'd think.. And even trying to get you to understand, you're not even understanding."

"You thought I'd think you were pregnant?" She asked.

"Well that's what it looks like, doesn't it?" I asked.

"Have you ever maybe thought that it could be something concerning your health?" She screamed and I froze, "A month? A full blown month!"

"I'm sorry! I didn't know what to do and everytime I thought of ways to tell you.. I just didn't know how to." I say my voice shaking along with anger filling my body, "but before you blame everything on me, put yourself in my shoes! I didn't tell you, because everytime I wanted to tell you.. You were so happy and I didn't want to change that. Everything in your life has went completely wrong, I didn't want to be that part that destroys everything you've tried rebuilding-"

" But nothing," She breaks me off, " You could of come to me! "

"And then what?" I yell back.

" Then-"

" Then nothing!" I break her off, " You'd end up talking to the spirits or something! That's why I didn't tell you! You were just starting to be yourself again and I didn't want to ruin that."

"It's too late for that, you already did!"  She says, her voice full of venom, "I'm taking you to the hospital."  she continues and grabs her car keys from the table behind her.

The ride was silent and even though silence filled the air, there was so much that it actually spoke. I mentally couldn't bare the thought of  hearing it anymore. I wanted sound, other then the sound of moving cars and people yelling outside. I wanted sound in this car, whether it be music or listening to the boring news, I wanted sound so badly that I just wanted this silence to disappear.

She brings her eyes to me and then back to the road, "Leave the radio off."

Ugh!

The ride to the hospital was short, but the silence made it long. I kept thinking about our argument and how I wanted to take back everything that I've said. Looking at her I wonder if she regrets it too?

Nah.

Unlike the car ride where the silence was pleasure for Aunt Alice and misery for me, the silence between us now was so much worse.. I wonder if it would get better? Or if I'd try to make things better would I end up making things a lot worse?

"Miss Johnson?" The secretary lady said as she looked to Aunt Alice's direction. She gave aunt that 'I'm better better then you' look, and even though I so badly wanted to agree with this lady, because I was furious at Aunt Alice I just couldn't agree.

She was nothing compared to the grumpy lady that sat beside me. Aunt Alice was natural and I mean ALL natural, while this lady was full of make-up. I could see that she was the type that believed she 'was up there', I could see that she believed she was better then some people just because she gave herself that will power. Even though her will power was so big, you could see that she had a low self esteem.