Chapter Forty

"Girl, you need to tell me every single detail I've missed between you and Varun,"
"Why?" I said stuffing my mouth with bread,
"Because, Arijit called only to apologize, "
"Oh yeah, thank you for reminding me, how did Varun get my number?" I asked her, I knew somehow she had something to do with it, and I was right, she began to look all round the cafe,
"Tanya, I'm asking a question here?"
"How am I supposed to know? He probably stole it,"
"From?"
"My phone,"
"Tanyaaa"
"Okay okay. He asked for it,"
"When?"
"Few days back,"
"Weve been here for only two days, or less,"
"Three to be precise, "
"And how long ago did he ask you for my number?"
"Yesterday, he said it was urgent,"
"You didn't care to tell me,"
"I love drama , that's why. Now, stop asking questions you already know the answer to me and give me an answer to the question I'm asking you," my mind went back to last night, the memory of what he said, made me cringe as I ate my food, she looked at me in anticipation, a lot happened, which included giving her book to him, to show Mohit, she'll be mad at me, but at the same time thankful.
"Wake up girl!" She snapped her fingers in my face.
"Oh, sorry, "
"Spill,"
"I went to his room last night,"
"In case you haven't noticed, you've repeated the same line over and over again,"
"And he told me I was giving him a hard on!"
"He did? OMG! That's, that's..."
"Strange I know,"
"Strange? It's very hilarious, and what else?"
"Nothing, we're just partners, trying to make sure we don't get into trouble with the v.c."
"You never explains the whole incident with Arijit and why he had to apologize to you,"
"I'm confused as well, I didn't really consider what happened, he was a jerk of course,but to Varun,he only tried to frighten me I guess, and he was somehow accusing me of taking away Varun from him, totally crazy "
"Anyways, I searched for my book this morning, did you happen to see it?" Her question made me freeze,
"Which of them?"
"Gujarati meets England,"
"Oh, um, well....no! Have you checked well, you're very careless and might not remember where you put it,"
"No, you know how much I'm careful with my books, so no one reads them, I put in my drawer, in my room, I made some mistakes and would want to change them, I'm hoping no one has seen it,"
"Relax  it's probably somewhere  you'll find it,"
"Are you sure you aren't with it?"
"I've been too busy, too too busy to think of playing pranks on you,you know that's your job and not mine,"
"Hows your dance coming through?"
"We're ready as usual, "
"Cant wait to see it," to be honest, she looked dull, and I'm hoping that things went well with Mohit, I'm feeling hundred percent guilty, gosh, I should have kept quite about it, after all, his career means zero to me, but anxiety took the best of my in a quest to help y best friend, she left me without saying a word, and I'm hoping she isn't going to tear up, just yet. I looked at the strange number in my phone, Varun had my number this whole while huh, I hesitated a few times, but my finger just did it's bidding by dialling it,  placing the phone on my ear I walked straight to class.
"Just because I got your number doesn't give you the license to call me any time you want," I rolled my eyes, not saying anythingimmediately.
"I'll deal with you later, I called to ask, how did things go with Mohit? Did he like it?"
"No. He doesn't like it,"
"Ouch! Couldn't you have done something to change his mind at least?"
"Listen, time was late. We've already gone far in preparation for this movie, it's name and other things had been leaked to the media, changing it would cost us a fortune,"
"That doesn't give you the right to yell at me, a simple explanation would work, Tanya isn't feeling happy about her missing book, and now I feel twice or more guilty than I felt before, if she finds out, she'll break down, hope you brought it with you?"
"No"
"What do you mean no? "
"Well, I sold it,"
"What the hell! " I screamed, stopping in the hallway, other students pausing to stare at me, "what do you mean Dhawan! How could you! You're a selfish bastard! You've always been, " I hung up on him, no letting him speak, pushing my hair backward, I began to cuss at myself for giving thoughts to all the nonsense I've been hearing and thinking about last night, hugging him, gosh!  My anger had reached maximum,  attending a class this way will do me no good at all.
"Where you headed?" Derek asked as I went opposite direction, I feel bad for ignoring him, but I can't stand to explain myself, how could Dhawan have done this? If he hated me, he could have done something to get back at me, poor Tanya, she's got nothing to do with this. At all. My phone repeatedly rang in my bag, but I didn't bother to answer it. I just sat down in the cafe, placing my head on the table. Almost breaking down. Dhawan. What had come over me? I suddenly trusted the one person I don't like, with my best friend's life, her future, he sold it! And she...she worked hard on that book, she's the best writer so far, and he sold it! Goodness! What kind of a selfish human being does that to an innocent girl only trying to pursue hee dream, I totally forgot who he was. This whole party planning had gotten into my head, from now on, I'm doing strictly business with that guy. He can go to hell for all I care, but he should watch his back from now on. I need to look for a way to break this sad pathetic news to Tanya, what sort of best friend am I? And this is all thanks to Varun Dhawan.

"Kareena, are you okay?" Emily asked as she sat beside me, placing her bag on the table,
"Yeah, I'm okay "
"Dont lie lady. I heard your outburst, I was indirectly behind you,"
"And you walked past Derek without acknowledging his presence or question," Nats said as she sat down too.
"I know it has something to do with Dhawan, we heard his name coming from your lips in the hallway, some people are saying couple's fight, but we know it's far from that. " I contemplated telling them, they have no idea Tanya writes, and if I do, they'll want to see her excerpt or something to prove it, and I can't, telling Dhawan has attracted enough trouble for me,
"Guys, if I was in the position to tell you, I would, but my hands are tied, I can't do anything, I can't say a word." I said,
"Well, if we can be of help, you know where to find us " Em added,
"Anyways, the dance, how's it gonna be?"
"Practice before I went back to India,"
"Okay, we'll be  there early, don't miss it. "
"And bring Varun too, " Nats added, if she wants him, she should ask him  I'm in no position to answer or deal with him. 

I left the school immediately after my yoga classes. Tanya was still depressed and it was hurting me inside. After dropping her off at the publishing house, I went back home. The guards were outside now, the limo was also there, and there were light drizzles outside. I turned off the engine, grabbed my bag and went inside. 

"hello ms. Kareena, need help?" the huge bodyguard asked.

"where's Varun?"   

"he is inside but I'm afraid that he isn't in the right frame of mind. He was boiling mad after a phone call , he snapped at everyone who came across him, completely pissed off."

"That's his issue to deal with. It's going to rain, why are you outside?" I asked. They looked at me strangely.

"Well Varun said we remain outside because you felt irritated by our presence,"

"well that was before now, I mean it is about to pour heavily, looking at the sky, it is dark." I opened the door and motioned for them to go in,

"no miss, ladies first." the other bodyguard who seemed silent all through said, i returned a warm smile to him and went in, only to find Dhawan sitting on the couch, cigarette in his lips, drink in his hand.

"we don't smoke here,"

"you don't own this place, you didn't offer it to me, Pablo did.Why did you ignore my calls?" the question came in, I ignored him, heading towards the kitchen for a glass of juice,I  had conditioned my mind not to argue with him, I have a dance today, I need all the calmness and peace of mind i can get, but if he gives me trouble, I will just drive off to Derek's . Just as i poured the juice into the glass, his thick footsteps filled the room. The sick smell of cigarette filling my nostrils, making me almost throw up on the kitchen counter.

"I had something important to say to you, you hung up on me, ignored my calls, then the first thing you say to me is smoking is not allowed in here?" he inquired but i focused on my drink, and the more he spoke, the more it made me crave for more, thank God i had stocked the freezer with juice enough, I might finish two more juice if he doesn't shut up. "I thought, for once I thought that I had seen you wrong, but no, once again you prove me wrong, I despise you even more, what you have done today..."

"what I have done today? what I...I have done today? I am highly disappoinetd in you, you are the most selfish human being left on this planet earth, I was foolish to have trusted you with Tanya's happiness, i thought you hated me, but you won't go as far as ruining the lives of the people I care about, but you did that today. Tanya has lost her smile and it is all your fault!!! No no no, mine. It is all my fault, and you won't be the one feeling the guilt, I will, you are so selfish I am sure you cab trade your best friend's destiny for yor selfish gain." the words left my mouth before I could control them.

"How dare you ! !" his palm met my cheeks, leaving finger prints that I could feel as my trembling hands ran across my cheek, tears escaped my eyes, flowing freely with no restriction, my breathing became heavy, one look at him,

"I'm sorry" he said almost like a whisper. My hatred for him knew no boundaries. I stormed out of the kitchen, grabbed my bag, and keys and sped off.