dolphins

I was running late, I checked the watch on my wrist sighing realising I woudn’t make it in time. My blood boiled, I was trapped in this damn traffic for almost an hour and it still seemed undless, gaving up, I decided to call Rick to go unstead of me, I reached for my phone on the passenger seat, I was dailing his number when the guy behinde me started honking so loudly signaling for me to move, I glanced up and the way cleared ahead of me, green lights on.

I arrived to the town only big store and I find myself struggling to pull over somewhere in this filled hot parking lot. I had to pick up groceries, and by that I mean our suppliars for the whole week because it was Tuesday, I only had half day at work on Tuesdays. I also had buy some new utencils and some cooking pot and then head to the kindergarten to pick up my son. In the fourth time of scanning around, my head was spinning but thank god, I finally found a spot. 

I sighed looking up to the rearview mirror. Oh gosh I looked terrible, tired and drained, my hair was a mess, l had bags under my eyes and my skin seemed dry. I seemed like I haven’t slept for ages. I tried to smooth my hair a bit running my fingers through it and after few pointless attempts I tied it in itself making a very messy low bun, I slapped my face a couple of times to pump up a bit of energie and stormed out.

I rushed over and grabbed only the necessery, fumbling through the shelves. I didn’t had the time to read the lables and I franckly didn’t want to because it would take me the whole day to get out of here.

I impatiently waited in the line to pay checking the time every bit and then. I was tapping my feet against the floor very loudly making it clear to everyone ina hundred feet rate that I was in a rush, of course count on me to drive everybody insane when I was stressed. There were only two coustemers before me and this old lady who stood right in afront of me turned around facing  me with a hint of smile on her face,

« you seem in a rush my child » she paused and if I didn’t know better I would say she was judging my appearance but her smile seemed genune reaching her crincly eyes and there was also something in the way she spoke « go ahead and take my turn. I’ve got the whole day to wait anyway »

« oh, thanks… thank you a lot » I didn’t know how to respond to her kindness. I mean, I felt tears tickiling, she really made my day. 

« no worries, go ahead child » she smoothed a srtand of gray hair offering me another kind smile and I quickly paid for the groceries and hurried to my car.

I turned around the corner and there he was, my bowl of sunshine, my rainbow in a clear sunny day, my Bo.

He was sitting by the side of the street, crouching, knees up and his little head held up by both hands, they were glued to his chin. Late summer breeze played with his tousled curls, making a mess of blonde little tendirls around his tiny face. Cheeks fluched from the heat with poutty pink lips, bored and waiting for his sorry for an excuse of a mother to pic him up.

He must of been there for so long because I saw no other kid beside him. Yeah I was a lousy mom, actually scratch that, I am the lousiest mom. Present tens with a superlative comparaision.
He jumped when he saw my white Honda and hurried towards as I steped out.

« you took so long mom ! » he rushed to me hugging my waist and I got down on my knees.

« I’m sorry honey » I kissed his cheek and he offered me a smile, I took it as a sign of accepting my appology « hop up, let’s get going now, now ». ashering with my hands, I guided him to the back seat and buckeled him in and then head staight home.

« what did you guys do today ? » I casually asked after I got off the highway stealing a glimpse of him in the rearview mirror.

« we learned about dolphins mom, » he started « you know mom, they breath air just like us !» he seemed so excited,