Flier, Genius, Edgelord

Start from the beginning

"Do you want me to take Jack off your hands, I can't imagine it'll be easy feeding both at the same time?" Arcee came over to him.

Optimus didn't have time to answer as Jack instantly reached out to her and squeaked.

"Way to go, Bulk," Miko frowned, "why can't I have the guardian that jumps up at the sight of me?"

Optimus hadn't done anything wrong and she could solidly say she loved the Boss Bot just as much as she loved the rest of the other Autobots. But Bulkhead was infinitely more fun than Optimus, and although she had only been with him throughout the night, she felt she definitely had the right to say she'd had enough of the calm, uniform responses he gave.

Miko and Jack found themselves cradled in their bots' arms and had a bottle of warm sparkling grade energon being fed to them.

"I don't think anything has ever tasted as good as this..." Jack said as he slipped into a daze, "kinda tastes like swiss chocolate but... better!"

"Mhm," Miko couldn't respond properly as she was busy stuffing her face.

"Miko, calm down," Optimus pulled the bottle back, "you will choke if you continue on the way you are."

Miko pulled the bottle back down to her and the Prime couldn't help but smile at the sparkling in his arms. And at that point, Miko knew that he was the good cop in her robot family, he was the type of family member that probably wouldn't bat an eyelid at minor behaviours but would step in for something they deemed more serious. 'Perfect' she thought with a grin.

Said sparkling's grin dropped as she felt a sharp pain go through her back and the bottle was released from her mouth as she let out a cry and began to struggle in Optimus' arms. Jack watched with wide optics and sat up in Arcee's arms, but she quickly calmed him and lay him back down.

Everyone else in the room had their gazes fixed on the struggling sparkling as Optimus bounced her to try and calm her.

"What happened?" Ratchet walked over after passing Raf over to Bumblebee.

"I'm unsure, she seemed fine," replied a confused and concerned Prime, "Bulkhead, please patrol, Bumblebee, give Raf to Arcee and join Bulkhead. Arcee, take the sparklings to your quarters."

They were about to complain but realised their leader was giving sudden orders to try and make the base less crowded and thereby less distressing for the sparkling and everyone that might have to listen to her cries. It also meant Ratchet could focus with no distractions.

Miko began to cry as the pain became sharper, she struggled more and reached for her back to try to ease the pain in anyway. It was burning, it felt like someone was jabbing knives into her spine and it was tingling in the most excruciating way.

Fat tears rolled down her faceplates as she was carried towards the medbay and passed over to Ratchet for examination. He quickly traced the sparkling's motions towards her back and ran his hand down her back gently earning more pained cries.

"I think I know what the problem is," Ratchet gave a small smile.

Optimus looked at his old friend for answers.

"Miko is a seekerling and her wings are beginning to form," he explained as he pointed at two tiny lumps on her back, "these are her wing nubs, the very beginning of what will become wings."

"The humans are certainly full of surprises..." Prime slightly smiled but there was an element of sadness. He watched as Ratchet prepared an anaesthetic to inject into the seekerling.

"Who knew..." Ratchet shook his head with a slight laugh as he held Miko still and attempted to calm her, "Miko this is going to hurt a bit, but I promise you'll feel better afterwards."