Chapter 1

Chapter One.

"Abby!!! Get your ass up! You're gonna be late for school!" Not that he cared. My dad's a drunk and my mom died three years ago, when I was fifteen.

 We used to have our happy little family of four- before she died. My brother left for college as soon as he possibly could, leaving me here. I don't hold it against him though. He refused at first but I convinced him, saying I would be fine. I thought I would be.

Now, my dad's a drunk, abusive father who doesn't care about me or anything else. I'm Abagail- Abby for short. I used to be popular, with tons of 'friends'. They all left me when my dad turned into a drunk. Well, all except for one. My best friend, Mason, stuck with me like nothing happened...for a while at least- he's long gone now. He became popular during sophomore year and left me.

"Abby! I said get your fat ass up! Right now!" My dad screamed in my face. You'd think I'd be used to the screaming now. You know, after three years of it. But I still flinch and he gets angrier at me for it.

"I-I'm sorry, dad, I'll get ready now." I whispered. I pictured the beating I'd get if I said it any louder.

"Yeah and you're walking to school, too." He laughed. I nodded.

School is a little more than one and a half miles away.

Yay me. Note the sarcasm?

I finished getting ready and then, I was out the door walking to school.

Did I miss my old life? Sometimes.

Did I miss Mason? You have no idea. But I'd never let him know that.

We'd been bestfriends since our diaper days. Well, we used to be..

Someone honked their horn n a car next to me. I turned and immediately wished I hadn't.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

With his girlfriend.

"Hey, what happened? Did daddy forget to give you a ride?" Mason was driving. His girlfriend- the queen bee- Leah, was mocking me. She also used to be one of my best friends.

"Goodmorning, Leah." I forced a sweet smile.

"Oh go take your 'sweetness' to your dead mother." All traces of that fake smile were gone.

Don't let it get to you. Don't let it get to you. Do not let it get to you.

Be the bigger person. Just keep walking.

"Mason, I can't believe we hung out with such a little bitch." She laughed. I'll admit, that stung a little.

I closed my eyes, counted to ten, and walked faster. I heard a car door open and close.

I started running. I didn't dare to turn back. That usually meant I was getting something thrown at me. It was worse if they caught me.

Keep running, I told myself. Don't look back and just keep running. 

"Abby! Wait up! Please!" His familiar, warm voice called out.

Mason. That's different.

"Just go back to your slut, Mason." I muttered, slowing down to a walk. I'm suprised he's talking to me without giving out random insults. That's how the last two years went. He'd insult me and I'd usually end up crying myself to sleep. Well I used to. The crying all stopped after a couple of months. I realized I didn't need him in my life. So what I had no friends? So what I had an alcoholic father? I'll be fine...right?