Chapter 4

Chapter 4

*Abby*

My dad's hugging me. 

"Abby, sweetheart, I'm so sorry. I'm going to get better. For real this time, okay? I went out and even bought you some new clothes. They're in your room. I think you'll really like them." He was practically sobbing on my shoulder.

That's when I realized what was going on. 

He always does this whenever he beats me hard enough to land me in the hospital. The guilt of what he's done to his daughter gets to him for a while.

His record is two weeks. That was three months ago.

The new clothes is a surprise, though.

"Right, dad. I'm happy for you. Can you let go? My ribs still hurt a bit." I whispered, still terrified he'd snap at any second. 

"Sure, Bear. I made you some dinner- your favorite." He led me to the dining room. 

He helped me sit down so I wouldn't hurt myself even more. When I looked down, there was a plate filled with spaghetti and some garlic bread on the side.

So he's been sober long enough to actually remember my favorite meal.

"Go ahead and eat, sweetheart, it's still warm and eat all you want, there's a lot left. Do you want anything to drink? Water? Coke? Juice?" He fired question after question, looking extremely worried like he'd mess up at any given moment.

"Juice is fine, dad." I whispered, looking down. I'm still terrified of him.

"Sweetheart, look at me." He pleaded.

I didn't.

"Come on, Abby bear...I really am sorry." 

Dammit. He called me by old nickname that only he calls me.

He just had to bring that up, didn't he?

I looked up at him and felt my heart break. He had tears in his eyes that he wouldn't let spill over.

Could he really be sorry? I mean, he's never made this much of an effort.

I slowly stood up from where I was sitting and cautiously made my way towards him.

"Daddy?" I whispered.

"Yeah, Abby bear?" He answered in the same tone.

"Why do you do this?" I asked, tears pricking my eyes.

"I honestly don't know, baby. I loved- love- your mother so much...and then when she...I lost it..." Those tears betrayed him and fell down his face.

"But...why did you take it out on me?" I asked, tears of my own trailing down my face.

"I think it's because you look so much like her, Abby. Jesus, you look just like her. Except your eyes- you got those mud brown eyes from me." He chuckled slightly.

I was about to reply when someone knocked on the door.

"I'll get it, dad. You still gotta get me that juice." He nodded and disapeared to the kitchen while I answered the door.

I didn't expect who was standing on the other side, though.

"I had to make sure you were okay." He blurted before I could say anything.

"M-mason? What? Why?" I thought he left as soon as I was out the car.

"I left but then I remembered that your dad was here and I just couldn't bring myself to make it all the way home. I had to make sure you were okay, Abby." He rushed out.