Chapter Six

Porth Kerensa, August 1941

Sunlight dappled the ground through the boughs of the trees; birds sang, insects buzzed and the smells of summer were heavy on the sea breeze that moved dreamily through Kerensa Woods. Evie and Judy strolled through the trees, their gas masks hung around their necks and they each carried a small pail. Evie’s was half full of blackberries, Judy’s was almost empty.

“I love Sunday afternoons,” Judy sighed happily. “I feel free on a Sunday afternoon.”

“It is the best time of the week. It’s lovely out here, peaceful and serene.”

“We’re almost near Penwith Chy.” Judy smiled over her shoulder at her younger cousin. “The best blackberries grow along the East wall of the Chy.”

“Aunt Helen specifically said we weren’t to go near the Chy,” Evie said sternly, stopping in her tracks.

“Don’t be a stick-in-the-mud, Evie; Mother is being a worry-wart over nothing.”

“Judy, it’s a POW camp, and Aunt Helen said to stay away.” Evie shook her head. “Besides, I don’t want to go there anyway.”

“Fine, I’m not going to make you go!” Judy shrugged. “You wait here, have a rest, I’ll go by myself.”

“Judy!”

“Sometimes you can be very dull, Evie.” She grinned. “There are guards and the place is surrounded by massive stone walls, what could possibly happen?”

Evie looked sullen. “I don’t know.”

Judy looked triumphant. “That's my point! Are you coming, or waiting here?”

Morosely, Evie followed her cousin, but some of the sunshine went out of the day for her. Judy pretended not to notice and hid her own annoyance. Sometimes Evie could be very staid, not at all the partner in mischief Judy had hoped she’d be. In many ways she would have been the perfect vicar’s daughter. Judy marched on ahead, swinging her pail and humming. She left Evie behind her, dragging her feet and muttering. She’d soon cheer up when she realised Judy was right.

Judy emerged from the shade of the woods, seven feet away from the stone wall that enclosed Penwith Chy, and stopped dead. Standing with his back to her was a man pruning the wild roses that climbed the wall. His black hair was shaved close to his head and he wore grey clothes that hung loosely on his thin frame. A few feet away from the man, standing with his back to them, was a guard smoking a roll-up. Judy backed up, retreating into the shadows of the trees and watched the man cutting the roses.

Perhaps he sensed her staring at him for he turned around and stared at her with dark, almost black, eyes. They bored into her, pinning her in place. He was olive skinned, with a long straight nose and a serious expression. He was the most handsome man Judy had ever seen. He glanced at the guard and put a finger to his lips. Judy nodded and smiled, drinking in every detail of his beautifully exotic face.

She heard Evie approaching behind her and regretfully she turned away from the handsome man to head her cousin off. Quickly she walked towards Evie and told her she’d changed her mind, Evie was right; they should stay away from the Chy. Evie smiled with relief at her cousin’s change of heart and they linked arms, walking back in the direction they had come. Evie was happy again.

Judy couldn’t drag her mind away from the man she had seen. He must be a prisoner, though she didn’t think he looked German. It didn’t matter anyway; she thought sadly, she wasn’t going to see him again. Tomorrow she would be back to real life on the farm, the busiest time of year, and he would forget her.