"Someone like me?" Alexandra asked curiously, wondering whether that was a compliment or an insult. Was it a good thing to be like she was? Knowing Richard, it probably was, but she had to be sure.

"Someone good, someone kind, someone who is able to look beyond the surface to see what lies beneath it. Someone who would look at me and see not a rake with a title and wealth, but a human being with not only faults and flaws but good qualities, too." He elaborated, and she felt an embarrassment she couldn't place settle in the pit of her stomach, fluttering madly, as blood rushed to her cheeks.

"Annaliese, on the other hand," he continued, "Friend of mine though she might be, is a little selfish. She loves things that don't require too much effort, that she can adore simply at face value. She loves many of the things I hate, including the ton and parties and balls. I am not the sort of man who can be loved at the surface level as barely anything about me is laid bare for all to see."

"You're too kind to me." She informed him, flushing even more nonetheless. "I do promise you this, however. You are one of my dearest friends today and I only see this bond deepening in the future. So, I swear that I shall always make the effort to look beneath the surface at the man I know you to be."

"And that is exactly what makes you the best person I know." He informed her, and she truly felt the need to smack him for making her blush so much in the space of five minutes.

"Will you be alright?" She asked, changing the subject to a question she'd been dying to ask for a while now, her concern for his well-being showing through once more.

"I have had five weeks to come to terms with this awful reality, and I have found that that is not nearly enough time." He said grimly, and her heart clenched again. "I shall miss my father, deeply and for the rest of my life. I shall not, however, allow him to see any more of my sadness during the remaining time I have left with him."

"There," She said warmly, "You're already twice as strong as you think."

"Thank you." He said, once again unnecessarily displaying his gratitude.

"There is one problem, however." Allie confessed, wincing as she recalled the one thing that would throw a rather large wrench into their previously somwhat easy plans.

"What is it?" Richard asked, concerned as he noticed her expression.

"Nate." She informed him, watching as his face fell dramatically as he recalled the brother whose permission he was supposed to obtain before proposing to her. "What are we going to say to him? I can't think of a single thing."

"Would he be angry if we told him the truth?" Richard asked, and Allie pondered the thought for a moment.

"I don't suppose he would be furious, but I can't see him being very pleased at the idea of a false engagement." She concluded after a moment. "But are you sure you are comfortable with telling him everything?"

"Perhaps we could tell him a half-truth." Richard suggested, and Allie nodded in agreement. The whole truth would not sit well with her brother and, even if it would have, she would not have been truly at ease with the idea of explaining the entire situation to him.

"We can simply tell him that you and I were on the verge of a courtship when news of your father arrived and you wished to become engaged because of this." Allie decided, voicing the first idea that came to her.

"That sounds alright, I suppose." Richard agreed, "Later, we can say we decided we weren't compatible after all. But, before we mention anything to your brother, I must ask you this again. Are you sure you are alright  with doing this? I would understand fully if that is not the case. There is still ample time for me to think of something else."

"I am sure. I am glad to be helping you, Richard." She assured him, glancing at the grandfather clock in the corner. "He would have risen by now. Shall we speak with him immediately? I'm sure you are eager to return to Exeter."

"I am, in fact. And that is another thing I wish to speak to you about." Richard admitted, continuing, "My father would certainly wish to meet you and he is too weak to travel. Would it be too much to ask for you to visit Exeter— with your family, of course— to meet him? I know it isn't exactly traditional or proper and it might be detrimental to your reputation, but would you be amenable to it?"

"I have no qualms, and all I require is Nate's permission and someone to accompany me." Allie said, rising to her feet. It was then that she noticed she was still holding Richard's hand. She quickly dropped it, flushing slightly.

"Emily and Nate probably will not be able to travel so soon after their son's birth." Richard said thoughtfully, "If I extended an invitation to Kit, Cassandra and the children, they would act as chaperones. Would Nate allow it then?" He asked, and Allie nodded.

"I don't see why not." She informed him, motioning for him to rise to his feet too. "But, first, you must go to him and seek permission for us to be engaged, my dear fiance." She teased, drawing a smile from him. It was the first real smile she'd seen from him all morning, and she was pleased that she was able to cheer him up, even if only infinitesimally.

"Then let us venture into the lion's den and pray I am allowed to leave with my life." He said, more grimly than jokingly, drawing a giggle from Alexandra.

"Does my brother terrify you that much?" Allie asked, taking the arm he offered her. Embarrassingly, it had not escaped her notice that, despite his grief and strife, he was still just as handsome as before. Even the sadness in his eyes had not taken away from the mesmerizing nature of their deep blue nor had the rumpled state of his clothing and the slouch to his posture allowed the impressiveness of his frame to diminish even in the slightest.

"No, I simply wanted to make you laugh." He confessed, and the naked honesty in his tone brought yet another blush to her cheeks. They were not even really courting and he was still much too good at flattering her.

Allie did not respond to his words, her mind too busy floundering. She led him to the dining room where, surely enough, all the others had risen and were eating breakfast, Kit among them. Although they were not announced, no one was surprised to see Alexandra enter with Richard, so she assumed Kit had told them all of what happened. When she met Nate's gaze, she saw the knowing, amused look in them and the fact was confirmed.

"Nate, Richard and I would like to speak to you for a moment." She announced, making it groan.

"Can it not wait until after I've eaten my toast?" He asked, before yelping in pain. Either Emily or Cassandra had clearly kicked him under the table. "Alright, alright. I suppose I have a fair enough idea of what this is about, but we shall go to my study anyway."

He stood with a groan, gesturing for them to follow him. His study in the London home was rather small compared to the one at home, in Somerhall. It was highly functional, however, and quite pretty, in a modern sort of way.

Nate did nothing but listen as Richard asked him both for his permission, and then his wish for Allie to visit Exeter for a little while. Finally, at the end of Richard's five minute long speech, he asked, "Allie, is this what you want?"

"Yes." She replied, without hesitating for even a second.

"Then the first half of your request can be considered granted." Nate affirmed, adding, "If you can persuade Cassie and the others to come with you, then the second half shall also be granted."

"Thank you very much." Richard said with a respectful nod.

"Now, in regards to the dowry—" Nate began, but Richard cut him off immediately.

"I would never accept a penny of that." He said immediately and honourably. Allie had no doubt that that would hold true for a real marriage as well.

"I was hoping you would say that." Nate grinned, and Alexandra herself could not help the smile that spread across her face.

Then, unbidden, a sense of disappointment filled her at the fact that Richard was not truly going to marry her. If she was to marry, she'd want to marry someone like him— someone good and noble and sweet and charming, too— but it didn't appear as if that would happen for her.