Chapter 4

** So, I know it's been a while but here is the next chapter :) **

Chapter 4

I spent the next couple of days avoiding the forsaken park. I didn't see any of the gang again that week and was glad, I was not ashamed to say that I was scared of them. On the first Monday at my new, yet temporary home, I was sent to school. I hate school, with a vengeance. It was nothing but trouble and I hated that I was always the new girl who's fostered. The pitiful stares that I received were burning my face, I hated the attention. I have always been considered 'pretty' wherever I go, whatever I wear. It was always, 'Well, aren't you a pretty one.' followed by a forced smile and a chorus of 'It's such a shame about her mother.' People smile like that when thay can't think of anything else to say. I had dressed for school in black skinny jeans and a green hoodie over a white tank top. I had on a pair of my over-worn converse's and felt comfortable. I had tried to pull off the natural look with my make-up, but also had black eye shadow on and heavy eye-liner, okay I will admit that it may not have looked that natural after all. Oh well, whatcha gonna do. I had straightened my naturally dark hair and was ready to go. I grabbed my bag and Anna drove me and the twins to school. I was never nervous about starting at a new school. I had no reason to.

As I had predicted, I was stared at in every lesson, I just kept my head down and only spoke when I was spoken to by a teacher. I hadn't really been paying attention to the people that I had seen in my classes. No-one introduced themselves to me and I was grateful. No doubt I'll be moving again soon anyways, making friends can only end in the pain of separation. The bell rang, letting everyone know that it was lunch time; I stepped out and followed the flow of people into the cafeteria. I got some food that looked like in belonged in the bin, which is exactly where I put it. I went outside and sat on one of the benches. The benches were in an open plan circular space that was surrounded by trees. It wasn't a particularly warm day so I thought that I would be the only one crazy enough to sit outside; that was until I heard the voices from behind the veil of trees. They were low and hushed. I walked slowly and cautiously, moving towards the direction of the hushed tones. I shifted the leaves that were in the way and could see a circle of four people. They were all bent over, dressed in black robes and it now sounded like they were chanting. They suddenly stopped and stepped back. There was a person on the floor who stood slowly and lifted their arms up to the clouded sky.

I wanted to turn and run away. Never look back. Until the person in the centre of the circle snapped their head in my direction and a long finger pointed to my face. I gasped and started to run. I was almost to the doors of the cafeteria when one of the robed figures was suddenly standing in front of me, blocking my way. Their hand was raised and I dropped before I was able to scream.

I knew I was conscious but I was unable to move, I could hear the conversations that were occurring around me. I mentally jumped when a warm hand touched the side of my neck.

"She's awake." A familiar voice came from the direction of my feet. I willed myself to sit up, to move something. I was just thinking how hard and draining it was to try and move anything.

"It's no use trying to sit up by yourself. Until your body has started to Change you won't be able to move anything accept your eyelids, which you should be able to open in a couple of minutes." The same voice was closer to my head now. I knew the voice was right but I tried, unsuccessfully to move my fingers or toes. As promised, nothing moved.

"How do you know that she's even awake? She might just be dreaming or unconsciously thinking, you can't know. Anyway, if you had just thought of something to occupy her with we wouldn't even be in this mess. How could you? Why did you? You could have just said something insulting to her and made her leave or..."