09 | The Adorable Brother

It was a stormy night. The palace was eerily quiet and all that could be heard amidst the sharp thunder cracks were the pacing footsteps of a small child.

"Brother!" the girl shouted as she opened the door to the Crown Prince's quarters. Another lightning pierced through the raging skies, illuminating a scene that should have been kept hidden in the dark.

Surrounded by a pool of blood was her eldest brother, who remained unmoving on the ground, already lifeless.

"Brother?" she repeated, but the one who responded to her desperate call was the man standing beside the fallen prince.

He slowly faced her and his blue irises glowered dangerously.

"Princess?"

Hyorin gasped for breath and her eyes instantly flew open. The nightmare that previously plagued her, however, had been easily tossed out of her mind when her gaze met a pair of curious, blinking eyes. She froze in confusion.

What in the world was her youngest brother-in-law doing in her bed?

"Oh, you're awake!" exclaimed Ren Kouha as he finally lifted his head away.

Chu'un, upon hearing the commotion, rushed to Hyorin's side. He breathed out a sigh of relief upon seeing her regain consciousness. "Milady, are you well?"

"What happened?" she muttered in a daze.

He quickly explained what transpired during her shared meal with the First Princess and how it ended tragically with her fainting. "Two hours had passed since the sun had set, milady. You have been asleep since lunch."

Hyorin was immediately overcome with an urge to hurl. The simple memory of the taste was enough to reduce her to tears.

A chuckle averted her attention back to the prince. "Man, you slept like a log! Her cooking really got you, huh?"

She gave him a curious look. "Why are you here, Prince Kouha?"

"I'm here in my brother's stead. Mei-nii is in a meeting so he won't be able to come."

Hyorin simply hummed, showing no interest whether Koumei cared for her or not. Kouha grinned. "That aside, you're more reserved than I thought you would be. Is Mei-nii lying to us?"

She instantly frowned and clicked her tongue. What the hell was her crazy husband telling everyone?!

The young prince laughed upon noticing her unmasked irritation. "Don't worry. Aside from me and En-nii, nobody knows that you suplexed him on the night of your wedding!"

Chu'un choked audibly and an awkward silence filled the room.

Hyorin glanced at her attendant before throwing a look of dismay at Kouha.

"Ah, my bad."

He shrugged his shoulders. She could only sigh at his 'accidental' slip of the tongue.

"Hey, sister-in-law, wanna spar?" suggested Kouha out of the blue.

"Huh?" she paused in surprise. The beautiful prince did not strike her as the type who liked to fight. Hyorin assumed, if Kouen was the strong brother and Koumei was the smart one, Kouha had to be the adorable who detested violence!

Chu'un immediately interjected. "Prince Kouha."

"Oh, right," he waved his hand dismissively. "She's not feeling well."

"No, I'm fine. I regained my energy by sleeping a lot!" Hyorin exclaimed and excitedly left the bed. Chu'un, despite reluctant, handed her a sword.