13 | The Feared Foodie of Rakushou (1)

The sun was high, the streets were packed, and cicadas could be heard along the buzzing crowd. Summer had just begun in Kou Empire yet the breeze from the Tenzan mountains blew away the scorching heat, creating the perfect atmosphere for sightseeing.

"Okay!"

In front of the castle gates was a young lady, jumping in place and stretching her limbs as if she were about to start a marathon. "Let's make the most out of today!"

"Ahem," Koumei cleared his throat before his wife could sprint off to the other side of the world. "Lady Hyorin, please do your best to stay still."

She threw him a strange look. "How can I look around if I just stand still?"

"We can walk, milady." Chu'un sighed for the umpteenth time.

"That's what I was about to do!"

Lies. She was totally about to run off without him, Chu'un was sure!

Meanwhile, Koumei could already feel a headache coming just from watching the antics of his wife. Was it a wrong decision to allow her outside, after all?

Two months had passed since Hyorin married into the Imperial family and she never once stepped foot outside the palace. Kouen suggested to give her a tour around the town to make amends for the recent poisoning incident. While Koumei was against it — since he would've personally preferred to keep her locked up for at least two years if given the chance —  he knew better than to displease his unpredicatable wrestler wife.

Before Hyorin could take another step, she looked back at Koumei. "Is there any souvenir you want? Like food?"

The prince stared at her, dumbfounded.

Was the world ending? The Princess of Shi, who would at any second throw a dagger at his throat if given an opening, was being thoughtful of him!

Maybe that incident did improve their relationship.

Koumei smiled unknowingly. "No need. I doubt there is any other food that can match Lady Hyorin's cooking."

While Chu'un cringed at his mistaken attempt at flirting, Hyorin remained unaffected. "Damn right. But I hope you didn't forget that I'm currently not allowed to cook for you 'cause they have yet to find the culprit."

A heavy sigh escaped Koumei's lips. "Of course."

The disappointment in his voice surprised Chu'un. How did his lord, who used to treat meals as mere brain fuel, become so obsessed with food? It was nothing short of a miracle!

"Then, see you later!" Hyorin waved a hand at him then went on her way. Chu'un exchanged glances with Koumei and nodded in understanding before following the lady.

The Second Imperial Prince remained at the entrance until the two completely disappeared from sight. Soon enough, a small unit of soldiers appeared behind him and bowed.

One of them approached him and spoke in a low voice, "We guarantee no harm will come to the Princess."

"No, that's not your job." A cold glint flashed in his ruby eyes.

"Make sure she doesn't run away."

* * *

It was not an exagerration to say that Hyorin was having a blast. Oh, how she missed the busy market and the chatter of a lively crowd! An adventurer such as herself belonged to the outside world, not in the confines of a palace!

As they ventured further into the city, Chu'un could not help but notice the widening of her smile. Seeing her in such a state reminded him that Ren Hyorin was just a 16-year old girl.

"Milady," he called, stopping in his tracks. When Hyorin looked over her shoulder, she was surprised to see him in a deep bow. "I would like to apologize for what happened before. I'm sorry for acting hastily and accusing you of a crime you didn't commit."

Hyorin was taken aback by his sudden apology. Not wanting to gather attention, she quickly gestured Chu'un to raise his head. "We're undercover here, mister. What are you doing?"

"Sorry, milady. I wanted to say it as soon as I was ready."

Hyorin watched him before sighing heavily. Indeed, Chu'un had been avoiding her ever since that incident, which made her surprised that he actually agreed to accompany her today.

"Look, I'm not even mad about it anymore. Besides, if I were in your shoes, I would've done the same," she waved her hand dismissively. "I may be the wife of your master but I'm still a prisoner of war. It's normal that you don't trust me."

Chu'un wore a difficult look on his face. While it was true that he didn't trust her, hearing the princess say it herself left a bad taste in his mouth.

Nonetheless, he had no intention of denying it.

"It's just as you said. Princess Hyorin is a prisoner of war," he clenched his fist, before glancing at the soldiers hiding in the distance. "So, please. Do not ever try to escape."

because we don't want to kill you.

"I won't. If I run away, who knows what will happen to my family."

Chu'un fell silent at her retort. At the same time, he had some sort of realization — the answer to the question his master could not tell him.

Why did he, an Imperial Prince of Kou, agree to the arranged marriage when it was usually the responsibility of his sisters? It was simple. The Princess of Shi put the safety of her family before her own pride, and Koumei respected that.

"Anyway," Hyorin clapped her hands, dispelling the depressing atmosphere and taking Chu'un back to reality.

"You don't need to worry about me escaping because not only do I have zero intention of doing that, I also forgot to bring my Metal Vessel." She pointed to her waist and, indeed, her sword was nowhere to be found. Chu'un stared at her in disbelief.

All that drama about her escaping was for nothing?!

"I was too excited! I mean, who even brings swords to the market, right? It's not like I would do a street performance or something. Look, you see that stall over there—"

Feeling his brain shut down, Chu'un just allowed himself to be dragged by the princess as she continued her babbling that was starting to become incoherent to him.

Milord, why did you marry this woman?!

* * *

Author's Note:

Spoiler alert, Chu'un, he had a knife on his neck.

Hello! I'm (kinda) back! Had to cut the chapter short or it would be too long.