Yule Connor- Breakfast

Start from the beginning

I took a bite from the apple and as I chewed, I stared out the window. The sun is already up, its rays bouncing back from a fresh brank of powdery-white snow. It shouted "peace" and "serenity" to me. It seemed as though no one will die today.

There was a strange knock on the door and James head snapped to the sound, like prey seeing the hunter. the joy of eating was gone from his eyes, replaced by a colder expression. I know my face must be the same, if not similar. We both know who it is. A year after our parents died, a strange old lady who asked us to call Grace would come to the house every morning, saying our parents told her to take care of us once they were gone. Unlike what one would expect, Grace wasn't much help. First of all, she'll jsut come to the house for a free breakfast and for someone to listen to her rants about her drunkard of a husband. Not to mention the fact she smells like dogs. The only reason I and James hadn't kicked her out yet is because of politeness and the fact she'll also rant about how "kind" out parents were and how we were just as "generous."

"Tell her the Connor siblings were mauled by a bear last night and they died," James muttered grimly.

I walked over to the door anyway. "Great idea, genius. She'll totally believe that once she hears my voice."

"Yule? James? Are you hooome?" Grace's cracky old voice made James wince.

"Just open it," he whispered.

I opened the door, and standing on the porch is her, Grace. She's exactly what you'd expect of her. The size of a five-year-old and just as useless. Her skin's pale from the cold, and she's wrapped in a dress seemingly made out of blankets. Grace smiled, revealing only five yellowish teeth.

"Hello, Yule, you look lovely," she said, and invited herself in without me saying a word, bringing the stench of dogs into the house. She sat from across James and smoothed her skirt. "Oh, it's such a peaceful day we're having, aren't we?"

That's the cue for "serve me breakfast, you tramps."

"We're sorry, Grace, but we don't have food to serve to you today," James apologized as I pretended to clean something.

"Oh, that's too bad," Grace said. "Every time I would come here, your parents would always serve breakfast. I guess children didn't always inherit their parents' good traits."

Before I could reply with something, James beat me to it. "How about a glass of water? I'll fetch it for you."

"Yes, please," Grace said. She indicated her throat. "I'm so parched. My husband drank all of the water, leaving me with nothing to drink." As James went off to get her a glass, she went on with her rant. "You children are so lucky." She indicated the house. "Back home, it's terrible. My husband drinks every night and beats me-" she indicated several purplish bruises on her arms and face"-when he gets too tipsy. it's good your brother doesn't drink, Yule. Your face is too pretty to be beaten."

He's too much of a weakling to actually punch someone, I thought, but I merely smiled politely.

"Yule, aren't you planning to marry someone?" Grace suddenly said. "I was at your age when I married John. About time you get together with someone so someone could help your brother with earning money."

"Grace, I'm only 14," I replied, turning towards her.

"14 is just ripe for you to marry," said Grace. "If I were you, I would've married the first man who bumps into me today. That's a sign from the Fates he's the one you ought to marry. Oh thank you, James, you're such an angel."

She accepted the glass of water from James, and as she gulped down the water thirstily, James turned to me and mimicked her expression. It took everything for me not to giggle.

Once she was done drinking, she stood up and opened the door, letting the cold wind blow in. "Oh well, time to go. It was such a pleasure spending time with you, children."

Once she was gone, I closed the door and immediately turned to Jame.s "What the heck, James? You left me all alone with her!"

"Well what did she tell you, anyway?" James asked.

"She told me to marry the first guy I bump into today," I replied. "Seriously, that woman's crazy."

"You're one to talk," James muttered.

Somehow, I couldn't stand his presence longer. "Uh, just go change yuor clothes or something. You're late for work, you know."

"Work is in the next house beside ours," James replied, but he went up the stairs anyway. I sighed. It's only just morning, and I've already learned three things. One, never let Grace enter the house again. Two, if she does enter, make sure to not have food. Three, be the first to fetch water and make sure James is the one who stays to talk with her.