Chapter Thirty Eight

Start from the beginning

"Are you trying to embarrass me in front of all of them? It's important they respect me," he hisses, making me flinch. His tone is starting to bother me, but I don't let my annoyance get the best of me. I have more important things to do.

"What happened to the Ren I know?" I question, throwing my hands up. "He used to be so kind. It's as if you don't care about me anymore."

His expression softens.

"I'm sorry. Things have been hard recently," he says, although his voice his flat and he doesn't so convincing. Stepping forward, he grabs me, pulling me into an embrace. I let him, feeling his warm soothing me. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I've given him the benefit of the doubt up until now. However, I'm still skeptical.

He pulls away, grabbing my face to draw me into a kiss. As his lips touch mine, something doesn't feel right. It repulses me, as I pull away, stumbling back a few steps. Ren looks at me, eyebrows furrowed, wondering why I rejected him so suddenly.

"You can't just kiss me and I'll fall in line with what you want again, Ren," I snap, folding my arms over my chest protectively.

It seems, I've pushed him too far, this time.

I'm not sure why he snaps so easily now, but he steps forward boxing me in against the wall. There's a flicker of anger in that emerald eye, and I've convinced myself he is going to hurt me. Just when I thought he was going to grab my throat and choke me against the wall, he suddenly jerked back.

Opening on eye at a time, I look at Ren crouched down, breathing heavily. When he glances back up at me, I realise it's Chase looking back at me, and my entire body deflates in relief. I've never been so happy to see him.

"How did you manage to get him that angry?" he questions, getting to his feet. He shakes his head, dazed from getting into Rens consciousness.

"I rejected his kiss."

Chase chuckles, stretching. He looks considerably uncomfortable in Ren's body whenever he is forced to be within in it right away. I've never known two people to be so different, so it makes sense. Chase immediately musses his hair and pulls off the jacket Ren was wearing. It's almost as if he's embarrassed to be in this body.

"I'm glad you did. You don't owe him anything," Chase murmurs. He steps towards me, his advances less frightening than Ren's were moments earlier. "I doubt he was going to hurt you anyway. More like scare you."

"Well, it worked," I say, leaning against the wall, loosening a breath. Chase looks concerned, but doesn't say anything to address it, if he is.

It's seems like he genuinely cares for me.

"You know they were planning on poisoning you right? You sure you don't want to leave while you can?" I ask. Maybe it is betraying all the Alpha's and Ren by telling Chase their plan, but I don't believe that is the best way to do it. Especially considering they want to kill him, and they undermined me when I suggested against it.

"I wish them the best of luck," he says, raising an eyebrow. He brushes past me, walking out the door. I follow him, not wanting to finish our conversation just yet. Not when I'm telling him about the Alpha's plans for him.

"I'm not exactly sure why I'm telling you this, considering all the horrible things you've done while you've been here," I say, more to myself than him.

He laughs lowly.

"I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for not knowing the whole story," he says, leading me upstairs. I doubt he wants me to follow him, but he is dropping hints about himself that are valuable to pay attention to. It brings me to a stop, though, as we reach Ren's bedroom. I'm not sure why he is here, since he has his own room in the depths of this place.

Pausing by the door, I don't dare step beyond the threshold. This is his personal space, and I don't want to intrude on that. Chase seems to notice my hesitation, pausing just inside the room to turn to look at me.

"I'll be out here then, I guess," I say, rubbing the back of my neck uncomfortably. Chase doesn't want to see me right now, he wants space-

Suddenly, he reaches out and grabs my arm, yanking me into the room.

I gasp, as he grabs my shoulders, gently pushing me back against the wall. There wasn't a free moment for me to question what he's doing, before his lips touch mine, and all my concerns wash away. It doesn't matter if he is trying to distract me, as long as his hands are on my body it's as if I can hardly think.

"Why do you have to be so curious about me, huh?" Chase murmurs as he pulls away from the kiss, instead trailing his lips down my neck, accelerating my breathing. He firmly holds my waist, not wanting me to go anywhere. I wouldn't anyway.

"You are my mate," I respond, closing my eyes, focusing on the feeling of his lips against my neck, sending shivers throughout my body. "Why are you letting me in?"

"Because I can't get enough of you."

💚••💚

Hey guys! If you want more, the rest of Ren is up now on Radish (:

🧼••🧼

I've also just posted the second novel in the Immortal series (in no way in correlation to book one which is Fate

It's Time!

🎆••🎆

Instagram: Sophie_Midika

~Midika 💜🐼