Spirit of the Hurricane (Finished)

Ok, this is my first story EVER so please don't judge. I really hope you all like it though! :)                                          -Keri

 The Spirit of the Hurricane

I walked into the building slowly, my face down, staring at my shoes as I take step by step, praying I wouldn’t trip. I had just moved to New Orleans, Louisiana from a small town in Iowa that summer. I loved it here but the first day at your new school is a little scary. I figured that out on the bus ride over here. Everyone was curious about the new girl on the bus and didn't care if they showed it or not. It had made me very uncomfortable. I really didn't like being the center of attention. New Orleans itself was still lovely though! I lived in the French Quarter in a shotgun house.
So far, everyone I'd met has been so friendly! But, these are teenagers. Don't get me wrong, they weren’t all bad! But, that was the 10th grade. And high schoolers could be horrible. So, I was just going to wait until I know the place to start making friends. I would stay quiet for then.
Focused on my thoughts, I didn't hear the bell ring. I was now stuck in a bare hallway and I had no idea where I was. As I was about to walk into a random classroom to ask for help- that would be totally embarrassing- I heard a voice behind me.
           "Hello." a very nice looking boy said. He had deep brown eyes, and brown hair. He was tall for 16, which I’m guessing was his age. He must have noticed me looking lost. I don't know if he even knew that I was new here, with these uniforms. They were so boring. The girls had a black, white, and gold plaid skirt, with a white blazer that had a little Fleur-de-lis symbol on it next to a rose with the letters GRA for Growing Rose Academy. The boys had Black blazers with the same symbols embroidered on, and khakis. The shoes weren't that bad though. They were dress shoes for the boys, and for the girls we had black flats. They were simple, but the best thing about the outfit, so I wasn't going to complain about them. "Do you need any help?" He asked after a moment of silence. I felt the heat creep into my face.
           "Um.. y-yeah. Do you know where Mrs. Dupont's classroom is?"
           "Yeah," he smiled. "It's right down this hall. It's the last class on your left. Room 487." He pointed to where I needed to go.
           "Oh! Ok! Thank yo-"
           "Andrew!" The voice came from a girl with blonde curly hair and dark brown eyes. She had a sick sweetness to her voice. It sounded almost fake. She approached him and completely ignored me, as if I wasn't even there. "You are going to sit with Samantha and I at lunch today like you promised, right?" She glanced at me from the corner of her eye. She was making sure I was listening. I knew I should walk away. I shouldn't give her the satisfaction of me listening to them talk, because I know that's what she wanted, for some reason. I stayed though. I couldn't help myself. I don't know why I stayed but I did, and I listened.
           "Yeah. I promised." He said, his face to the ground, sounding as happy as he could, but I could tell he didn't want to. He remembered I was standing there and his face brightened. "Oh! Katarina, this is..."
           "Emily Villieux." I said blankly. I forgot I hadn't introduced myself. I pasted on a smile, and tried my best to make it look real. I extended my arm towards Katarina. She didn't shake my hand.
           "It's nice to meet you, Emily." she said icily. At least she wasn't ignoring me anymore. But I think I liked that better.
           "You too. But you can call me Emma for short if you'd like."I smiled at her, but soon, it dropped.
           "Well, Emma, I'm Katarina Lacroix and this is Andrew Fillion." she stared at me with her dark eyes. They were seriously creeping me out. They were cold and mean. "We, along with Samantha Bousquet, are from the most richest families in New Orleans. I live in a huge mansion is the Garden District. So does Samantha. We're neighbors. Andrew does too. He lives down the street from us."
           "Wow! That's really cool! I live in a purple and white shotgun house in the French Quarter." I said, just trying to be friendly, although I wasn't sure why she was telling me her life's story. Her eyebrows shot up at what I had just said and immediately regretted saying it. She was warning me to stay away from her group. I wasn't sure why Andrew would be in a group like that when he was so nice. Maybe because he was rich.
           "Well, I'm sure that's wonderful for people like you to live in." She gave a fake tinny laugh. I only pasted on that same fake smile I'd had on earlier.
           "I, uh, gotta get to class. I'm already late." I said quietly.
           "Bye Emma!" Andrew said with a smile. A real smile, I noticed.
           "Yeah. Bye Emma." Katarina's cold, hard voice followed Andrew's sweet, friendly voice.
           "See you!" I called back as I headed to class. I wondered why she was so jealous of my ordinary curly light brown hair, pale skin, and green eyes that were just slightly too far apart above my slender nose with a small trace of freckles sprinkling it. I was quite normal looking. But, I'd figure that out later. It was time for class now.