“It’s been a good day,” I shrugged.

“You spoke with Liam?”

His comment definitely brought a downer to my mood, but only momentarily. Not hearing news from Liam was probably better than hearing about him wreaking havoc in other packs.

“Not yet,” I replied, looking away.

“Did you go into town without telling me?” Caine asked, looking at me with serious expression.

I rolled my eyes at him, and shook my head. “No, I didn’t. I told you I wouldn’t.”

Caine appraised me through narrowed eyes, but in the end, he nodded and sighed. “You’re happy because you got to keep Brandon as a guard?”

“I knew he’d be staying,” I admitted, and that made him growl under his breath.

“You were so sure I’d agree?”

“Oh, don’t get all pissy about it. I get it, you’re the Alpha. You decide. I thought we’d already talked about Brandon. You said it was okay if he stayed. Why are you bringing him up again?”

“I’m not,” Caine growled, although he was the one who’d brought him up. “Did you do something you shouldn’t have?” Caine asked, now looking at me suspiciously.

I laughed at him, and couldn’t help but grab the collar of his shirt and pull him in for a kiss. He responded, his lips quickly molding against mine, but only for a few seconds. He pulled away abruptly, and continued looking at me with those serious green eyes.

“What did you do?” he finally asked, not even trying hide that he’d been questioning me all along.

“I’m happy. You find it that strange for me to be happy?” I asked, crossing my arms.

He was taken aback by my question. I couldn’t be bothered to be mad at him. I had a good feeling about Derek’s decision. It was what had me happy. Caine had apparently picked up on it, and my guess was that he thought I was up to something.

“You can be happy. Forgive me,” Caine said, bringing me closer to him.

“You are forgiven,” I told him, giggling against his lips.

We were outside. Hardly anyone roamed around our house unless they had a reason to be there, but we were still out in the open. That didn’t stop Caine from pushing me on my back, and laying himself over my body.

I laughed, this time placing the palms of my hands over his chest to stop him. “Adam could come at any minute,” I said, while Caine was nuzzling his nose against my chest, not at all trying to behave himself.

I yelped when he easily picked me up in his arms as if I weighed nothing, and started walking inside.

“It is such a nice day out!” I complained, although I was grinning.

“I’ve had enough of it,” Caine replied, maneuvering me in his arms so that I was straddling his waist, my arms safely wrapped around his neck.

“Nice view up here,” I said, looking around. It was a different view, looking around and seeing things from his perspective.

My words made him snap his teeth at me playfully. “I’m sure you can’t see anything down there,” he taunted.

“Oh, shush, I’m not that short,” I told him, squeezing the back of his neck.

Caine leaned into me, biting my lower lip between his teeth teasingly. “I need you.”

I woke up the next morning to an empty house, with the exception of Brandon. I could hear him downstairs, although it didn’t seem like he was doing much.