twenty-four

"Told you I solved that mystery," Jungkook says after we've been tangled up in each other's arms for a while, listening to the slowing rain outside. "Twice."

I smile into his chest. "I never doubted. You're Nancy goddamn Drew, after all."

"And you're Sherlock fucking Holmes."

"If we start our own detective agency, I want both of those names painted on the door, just like that."

"My parents should have named their shop 'The Detective Agency.'"

I chuckle and he pretends to bite my neck, and that makes me squeal. He just holds me tighter. Fine by me, because I can't stop touching him. His sharp jawline. His eyebrows. The curving ridge of muscle above his hips. I've never been so close to him, and there's so much begging to be explored.

But when my stomach growls, we both realize how late it is. Not exactly how late, because both our phones are dead, and Jungkook's fancy compass - our only source of time - is currently sitting inside the pocket of his jeans, buried in mud outside the tent. But we've been at this detectiving for a while now, and I'm in need of things that are stashed in the other tent. Like food. Wet wipes. Dry clothes. Okay, maybe I'm not in a hurry for those, but when Jungkook volunteers to crawl beneath the canopy to the smaller tent, I add that to the list, and he bravely extricates himself from our sleeping bag.

The other tent is only a few feet away, and it's silly, but I hate for him to go that far. As I tie back the mesh flaps of our door to open it up, the sight of him crawling naked into the second tent's entrance has my complete attention. "That's an interesting view," I tell him from the open door of our tent.

"I aim to please," he calls back.

He has to make two trips, and between them, ducks outside into the rain for a couple of minutes. Naked Jungkook in the woods. Now would be a good time for a photo. But when he comes back, he has one of our water bottles, which he hands to me through the door, shivering, and dives back into the other tent. This time, he emerges wearing boxers and tosses me a T-shirt. He's also raided our food stash, yay!

Lying on our stomachs with our heads sticking outside the door flap, we set up the one-burner camping stove under the canopy. The stove is just a tiny bottle of fuel with four prongs that unfold above it to hold a pan. We heat up water for hot chocolate, which is inside two brown packs of Nescafe that Jungkook brought. There are also a million other things in each ration bag: a pastry bar, crackers, dried fruit, and holiest of holies, a packet of peanut butter.

"I thought you might like that," Jungkook says with a smile as we look through the contents of the meal packs. There are spoons, napkins, matches, and even a tiny bottle of hot sauce and some candy. The entree gets heated up inside a flameless heater bag that needs to be filled with a little water to activate the heating element. It doesn't taste quite as good as Seolhyun's gourmet freeze-dried camp meals, but I'm starving, and the peanut butter and crackers make up for everything.

After we've eaten and cleaned up, Jungkook breaks out his journal and maps, and I lie on my side, watching him recalculate the last leg of our trip to Aspan Park. "Six hours of walking," he says. "Maybe even seven with long breaks."

"That's not too bad."

"Nope."

"Huh. I thought it would be farther." We both look at the map that's unfolded atop his journal. "You sure you want to go to the star party with me?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

"It'll be a lot of people I don't know, and some people I see at club meetings every month."