thirteen

Black bear.

Big black bear.

Big black bear tearing up Bogum's tent.

The group catches up to us as shock winds through me. Seolhyun runs into my back, and I nearly topple over. Hyejeong makes a terrified sound.

"Oh my," Bogum whispers, spotting the bear. "Oh bloody hell, oh freaking heck."

My mind empties. Every nerve in my body sings.

As if he can hear my panicked thoughts, the bear lifts his head to sniff the air. His small eyes glow chartreuse in Jungkook's headlamp, reflecting the light.

"Don't move," Jungkook says over his shoulder. "Don't run. He might chase you."

What the hell are we supposed to do, then? The wind blows the bear's musky scent in our direction, and my feet want to flee, despite Jungkook's warning.

We all stand silently. Staring. The bear stares back. he sniffs the air again, and a huge pink tongue licks the side of his muzzle. He's curious about us, and completely unafraid. In fact, whatever he smells in the air has made him brave. He steps out of Bogum's tent, paw ripping the fabric as his leg swings around.

He's going to charge at us.

We're going to die. If I was scared during Jungkook's story, I'm petrified now. I inhale a shaky breath. I really wish Damon were here. She would bark this bear into submission.

Or she'd tuck tail and run, which is exactly what I want to do.

"Hey!" Jungkook shouts in a booming voice that makes me jump. "Get the hell out of here! Get out!" He's waving his hands over his head as if he's dressed up like a vampire on Halloween and trying to scare little kids. Only, he sounds absolutely furious. And because his big voice is so deep, it carries over the river and bounces back in a thundering echo.

The bear is now paying attention. He pauses midstep, one enormous paw in the air, and his head stills.

Jungkook jumps forward - just one long stride. But he bellows once more as he does it, and images of him stupidly throwing himself at the bear flash behind my eyes. Blood. Screaming. Horror. I see it all unfolding, and I'm too terrified to do anything to stop it.

"I said, get out!" Jungkook shouts, clapping his hands loudly several times. He quickly scoops something off the ground and throws it at the bear. A rock? I can't tell. But it hits the bear on the nose.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

The bear shakes off the projectile. My body prepares to flee. And then -

His big, furry body slowly turns around. The bear shambles away, crushing the tent beneath him in two steps.

Jungkook claps again and starts walking toward it, slowly, casually. Shouting as if he's trying to get a horse to gallop. And then the bear picks up speed and runs into the dark woods.

Gone.

I stare at the edge of the forest until my eyes sting. Is it really gone? or is he faking us out, only to turn around and race toward us on his hind legs? Wait, so black bears stand on their hind legs? Is it just grizzly bears? I don't know. Why don't I know?

"It's okay now," Jungkook is saying. His hand is shockingly warm and firm on my neck. "Hey, it's okay. He's gone."

I look at him, dazed. It takes me several moments to find my voice, and when I do, my tongue thick in my mouth. "Are you sure?"

"Pretty sure," Jungkook says, looking over his shoulder at the woods. "Listen. You can hear it retreating. Those are pinecones making all the noise under his feet."