Chapter Sixteen: Florentia and Theodosia

Start from the beginning

"That is the sisters' butler, sir," Sebastian whispered to Ciel, "Apparently he is a multipurpose manservant." 

The sisters emerged from their carriage, Theodosia first with Florentia following.  They looked as if nothing had changed since the night at the ballet.  Even the color of their dresses were the same; aubergine and aqua.  The only possible change was that they seemed even more worn-out than before. 

"Thank you, Treacher," Theodosia thanked the butler, who nodded to her in response.  Snake, who seemed to have appeared out of nowhere and left his snakes elsewhere, guided Treacher to the stables where the horse could replenish itself. 

"Treacher?" Ciel whispered to Sebastian before the sisters came too close.  "What sort of a name is that?" 

As they drew nearer, Sebastian addressed them.  "Welcome to the Phantomhive manor, Lady Theodosia and Lady Florentia.  It is our pleasure to have you." he bowed, and the remaining servants followed suit. 

"The pleasure is ours, sir," Florentia replied, scanning the estate.  "We are delighted to finally meet the esteemed Lord Phantomhive." 

"Yes, when Treacher informed us that we were to meet with you over tea and discuss a business collaboration," Theodosia continued, smiling weakly.  "We could hardly contain our joy.  Indeed, we felt better than we had in months." her smile faded. 

Ciel furrowed his brow.  Both sisters' voices sounded fragile, like they belonged to women too sickly to be outdoors.  Yet here they were, looking unmistakably ill but not in danger of collapsing.  Pushing these thoughts aside, he gave the sisters a smile.  "I have been looking forward to meeting you for some time," he said, and found to his great surprise that for once he was being honest.  "I have always admired the curios your company produces.  I find it even more interesting that the two of you are, in fact, the inventors of the toys, not merely the heads of Kurios.  Shall we discuss our business alliance over tea?" 

As the three were escorted to the greenhouse, Ciel walked close enough to Sebastian to whisper to him.  "Help me observe them throughout tea," he said.  "I'm sure they are sick, but ordinary people would be bedridden by this point, I believe.  Surely whatever ails them cannot be a mere sickness of the body." 

"Yes, my lord," Sebastian whispered. 

Sebastian and Matilda had enlisted Agni to help with serving tea.  While Sebastian pulled out the chair for Ciel, Agni did the same for Florentia, and Matilda for Theodosia.  All four of them noticed how the sisters seemed to always grasp onto something for support, be it the back of the chair or even each other's shoulders.

Ciel shivered. Watching the sisters struggle to accomplish basic tasks made something inside him quake. He exchanged looks with Sebastian. Something else was definitely afoot here, and whatever it was was alerting senses he didn't know he had.  

 Sebastian poured the tea, saying "For today's tea we have a soothing herbal blend known to heal most ailments." He exchanged smiles with Agni and Matilda. The three of them had combined the healing tea and the curry bread in the hopes of curing whatever ailed the sisters. But as Ciel and the servants watched the sisters shakily take sips of tea and merely pick at the curry bread, as if they wanted to eat but simply had no appetite, their hearts sank. Matilda and Agni's faces fell. Perhaps this would not be solved by ingestion.

Trying to ignore the strange prickling on the back of his neck, Ciel addressed the sisters. "As much as I enjoy your company, I do not wish to monopolize your time. Let's get to business. I propose we work together first on an individual product and see how that works out before launching anything too elaborate."