“I’m pregnant!!” I yell. I start to cry. I don’t want him to shoot anyone. Jack and grandfather look at me with a shocked look. “Wh-what?” Jack can barely say anything. “Are you sure.” Derek pointed the gun at Jack. “Yes. She’s sure! I made her pee on a stick to confirm it, but my daft sister thought she could fool me by peeing on a stick and giving me that one.” He chuckles. “When I heard what she was going to do, I had the DNA tested to confirm it was my sister and it was. That’s why I punished her.”

Jack looks angry now. “Let her go now!” Derek laughs. “Not gonna happen. I love her, but she has an abomination growing inside of her. Once I get rid of you, I can get rid of the abomination.” Jack tried to move, but couldn’t. Derek laughed and then shot Jack. Grandfather, Em and I gasp. “Jack!” I tried to get to him, but Derek still had a tight grip on my hair. “Let me go!” After a few minutes, Derek finally let me go. I ran to Jack. I held his head in my hands and waited for him to start breathing again.

After a few minutes Jack woke up gasping for air. “Jack. It’s alright. I’m here. Look at me.” He looked around first and then looked at me. He smiles. “Charlie.” I smile back. I kiss him. The next thing that happened, I did not expect. As I was kissing Jack, I heard a gunshot. I jumped and looked around to see who got shot. My grandfather wasn’t the one who got shot thankfully, but the look on his face. I looked over to see that Em was the one who got shot. “No! Em!” I turned back to see Derek staring at her.

“You did this!” He pointed at Em while looking at me. I tried to untie Jack when another gunshot rang out. I looked at my grandfather, he wasn’t shot. I looked back at Jack, he’s not shot. The look he’s giving me, worries me. All of a sudden, I feel pain in my back. I put my hand on the spot that hurts and feel something. I look at my hand. There’s blood. I look at Jack. He’s still trying to get loose, but can’t. “Jack.” I fall to my knees. My grandfather gets loose and comes over to me.

“Charlie. Oh honey. It’s alright. You and the baby will be fine.” Just as Derek raises the gun to shoot me again, Jack throws a knife at him and hits Derek in the chest. “Wh-where did you get that?” He looked back at Em. “She untied me and handed it to me.” Jack got up and made sure that Derek was dead. He was. Jack grabbed the gun and pointed it to the two men who brought grandfather in.

“You’re going to let us go. Now!” They nodded. One of them called the police and told them where we are. It doesn’t take long for them to show up. Jack has me in his arms. He’s starting to cry. “Hold on babe. Don’t you dare leave me.” I smile and put my hand on his cheek. “We’re going to have a baby.” He smiles at me. “That’s right. We are, so you better make it. Alright?” I shake my head. “Yea.” I could hear my grandfather sobbing.

I remember getting to the hospital and being rushed into a room full of surgeons and nurses. They wouldn’t let grandfather or Jack be with me until after surgery. Things started to go black. I was worried about Jack, my baby, and my grandfather. I kept telling myself that I needed to survive for them and to give my baby a chance at life.

*Six hours later*

(Charlie’s grandfather’s point of view)

As Jack and I sit in the family waiting area for the doctor to come out and tell me how Charlie is doing, I start to get uneasy. I stand up and start pacing back and forth. “I hate waiting.” I could feel Jack’s eyes on me as I paced. “I know Max, but there’s nothing we can do until they are done.” I looked at Jack. He’s holding back tears. I give him a half smile. I could hear people talking. Just then, Jack stands up and walks over to where the voices are coming from. He must have told his team what’s going on.

I turn and start pacing again. When I turn around, I see the doctor walking towards me. “Jack!” I turned to see him jogging back over to me. They walk up to me about the same time. “How is she doctor?” The doctor frowned. He sighed. “She didn’t make it. The bullet hit an organ and it failed. I’m so sorry.” As the doctor walks away, I felt someone’s hands on me. I looked and saw Owen and Tosh holding me up. I looked to see Ianto and Gwen with Jack. “J-Jack. Tell me he’s lying. My baby girl can’t be gone!” I start to cry. Tears pouring down my face.

Jack looks over at me and hugs me tightly. “Max.” That’s all he’s able to say. I don’t know what to do. My baby girl…my granddaughter. She can’t be gone. I was able to manage a few words. “D-does an-anyone know about Em?” I could hear someone clear their throat. “She didn’t make it either.” Owen patted me on the back. “I’m sorry.” Oh my. “Someone has to tell her dad. I don’t think he knows.” Owen held onto me to keep me from trying to leave. “It’s already been taken care of and the police have the men who helped Derek.”

*Three days later*

I can’t believe I am going to my granddaughter’s funeral. It doesn’t seem real. Everyone she knew is here. Jack and his team, Destiny and her boyfriend Cody, Amber and her boyfriend James. I think I heard Amber and Destiny talk about how weird it is that they changed boyfriends. Not the time and place for such a conversation. It’s been really hard for me. Jack has tried to be there for me, but I know he’s had work to do. The funeral was nice.

It’s been hours since the funeral. I still can’t believe that she has passed. I don’t know what I’m going to do without her. Jack and his team set up a place for family and friends to go after the burial. It’s at a nice church. The staff even made some casseroles and things for everyone to eat. I think it’s best for me to sit by myself. Every now and then someone walks up to me to give me their condolences. “Thank you. It means a lot to me.”

Once it starts getting dark, just about everyone has gone home. Jack and his team clean up and thank the church staff for all that they’ve done. Jack walks over to me. “I’m going to have Tosh and Owen take you home. They can stay if you’d like them to.” I shake my head. “No, I’ll be fine thanks.” We walk out to the cars and get in. Owen gets in the driver side and Tosh on the passenger side. I get in the back. Fifteen minutes later, we arrive at my house. “You don’t have to stay, I’ll be fine.” I sighed and got out of the SUV. “Alright. Let us know if you need anything.” I shake my head yes. “Thanks for the ride home.” I walked up to the door as they drove off. I get in, lock up and head to bed.