Chapter 3

**This is my fan-fiction story based on characters from the show Torchwood. I do not own the names of the characters, except a few, and I do not of course own the story of Torchwood. I just used the names and some of the storyline for my fan-fiction story. I hope you enjoy. Please feel free to leave comments. Also, this is my very first story ever. I thought I'd give it a try.** 

âHey Jack. Are you okay. You look like youâre in a different world or something.â Em says to Jack. âNo, Iâm okay. Just not used to following and hanging out with teenagers.â Jack says while looking at me. Iâm not too sure I like the look he is giving me. âWell, no worries. We ladies are done shopping for today. Charlie still has a small get-together party to attend and then the rest of her birthday will be spent with her grandfather.â Said Em. She was giving him a weird look. I am pretty sure she is up to no good. When she is up to no good, she or both of us get into trouble. Better make sure she doesnât screw up my birthday like she did my sixteenth birthday. Mmmmâ€Â¦ I don’t want to go into details, but let’s just say we were in major trouble that night.

We finish lunch and Derek decides to stay with us. We go to see a movie and then we headed back home. “I had a great day. Thank you guys for a great day.” I said while turning to hug Em. “Not a prob my dear. I am glad we were able to spend the day with you." Said Em. I turned to Derek and gave him a hug. “Happy Birthday again.” He whispered in my ear. Jack was still sitting in his SUV when Em and Derek left. Since the rest of the evening/night was to be spent with my grandfather, they went ahead and headed home. I know that I’ll be seeing Em on Friday. She likes to come up to the nightclub and flirt with the guys. Sometimes I think she’s jealous of me. Of course, there are times I can see why. She doesn’t say anything to me about it. She knows I’m not that type of person who rubs my “successes” in everyone’s faces. I don’t advertise that I come from a wealthy family. Some people know who I am related to and some don’t and I would really like to keep it that way. Anyways, I started to walk over to Jack when he stepped out of the Torchwood SUV and walked towards me. “I’ll walk you inside, but I won’t be staying.” Jack said as we met up with me in the middle of my driveway. “Alright. I was just about to ask you that too.” I said with a chuckle. We start to walk towards the front door.

“Do you trust Derek?” Asked Jack. I was really shocked by his question. I started to answer, but I just kept stuttering. Finally after five minutes of not saying anything and standing in one spot not moving, I finally said “Yes. Why do you ask?” Jack looks at me and then said, “I was just curious. I don’t know him as well as you, but it look like he was hiding something. I don’t trust him.” Ooohhh I am so mad. How could he say something like that? “Of course you don’t know him as well as I do, but he’s not a bad guy. Just because he has a lot on his mind does NOT mean he is up to no good. Alright?” Jack looked like he had been punched or something and said, “Sorry Charlie. Not my intention to upset you. Just my opinion. I’m going to go ahead and head back. Have a lot of work to do. Happy Birthday and good night.” And with that, he turned quickly and headed back to his SUV before I could say anything else. I decided it would be best not to say anything since I did not want to end up in a foul mood on my birthday.

I opened up the door and headed into the kitchen since that where I knew grandfather would be waiting for me. “Did you have a great time?” my grandfather asked as I walked into the kitchen. “Yes I did. Thank you.” I said as I sat down in the chair next to him. I noticed he looked a little different than usual, but didn’t mention it to him. We had a small dinner and then we headed into the living room where we sat and talked about things. “I am very proud of you.” Grandfather said to me. Aww. All teary eyed, I said, “Thank you. I have tried my best to be good.” As he wipes away an escaped tear, he said “You have done very well.” He smiled at me and then kissed my forehead. “I am sorry I cannot stay up too much longer. I have to be at the office earlier than usual.” Said grandfather as he stood up. “Is everything alright?” I asked as I stood up too. “Yes, yes. Just have to take care of some important things. No need to worry.” Said grandfather. He kissed my forehead one more time and then said “Goodnight dear. See you tomorrow.” As he started to walk off I said goodnight back to him and headed upstairs to my room. I will miss my room once I get my own place.

The next morning I woke up to my mobile ringing. Of course it was Em. She likes to call and wake me knowing that I am not an early bird. I like to sleep in… sometimes past ten a.m. “What?” I asked after pushing answer on my mobile. “Well, good morning to you too sunshine. How did you sleep?” Em asked. “I was sleeping very nicely until you called.” I said chuckling. Em started giggling and told me that Jack had called her and asked her to wake me. I was supposed to be at Torchwood by nine-thirty and it’s just now ten past ten. Oops. I don’t remember grandfather telling me I had to be at Torchwood every day at nine-thirty, but then again it could be Jack’s rule. Hopefully I won’t have to be there early on the weekends since I work late Friday and Saturday nights. Well, I guess I have to get up, ready and head out. Not really looking forward to this.

A few minutes after getting up, I called Jack and told him I was going to eat, get ready and then head that way. He didn’t sound too happy with me, but I don’t care. An hour and a half later, I had breakfast, showered and was dressed. I was heading out the door when my mobile rang. It was grandfather. “Good afternoon grandfather.” I said when I answered. “Where the hell are you?! You are supposed to be with Jack by now!” He yelled. I replied quickly with, “I am in my car headed towards Jack right now.” I could hear him breathing heavily into the phone. He is furious with me. “I will call you when I get inside.” I said after five minutes of silence. “Fine. You better hurry your ass girl!” He yelled before hanging up on me. Seriously? I know that there is still a possibility that whoever has come after me, still is, but come on.

I finally get to Torchwood and get inside. I didn’t think I had the time to take the invisible lift, so I just went in the usual way…The boring way. Once inside, I call my grandfather to let him know that I am where I should be, told him to have a good day, and hung up. I get downstairs and in through all of the stupid doors. I walk in and immediately see Tosh. She greets me with a smile and a hello. I smiled and said hello back. I walk up the stairs and into Jack’s office. I am so furious right now. I slammed the door shut, “What the hell? Did you really have to be a daft bloke and call my grandfather on me? How immature are you?” I yelled. Jack looked calmly up at me. Ugh! Sometimes I could punch him in the face. “You didn’t show up on time. He called and asked about you. I am not going to lie to him about where you are. I have been hired to protect you.” Jack said while still looking calmly at me. “Not going to lie, huh? You didn’t tell me I had to be here at nine-thirty in the morning. Also, I know you’re a liar. You like to lie to people all of the time.” I said as calmly as I could. I was trying really hard not to get more upset with him. He gave me a strange look. Oops… I may have said a little too much. I still don’t think he knows I hacked the server, but he may know now since I said too much. Damn.

Ten minutes of silence. I can’t take it anymore, so I said, “If you have rules, you should make sure I know them first before trying to get me into trouble with my grandfather.” He stared at me for another two minutes before saying, “First rule: Be here on time. Second rule: Be here at nine-thirty in the morning every morning expect on the days you work really late. Third rule: I have to know where you are at ALL times. NO EXCEPTIONS! Fourth rule: Once you get your own place, I get a spare key for emergencies. Since I already have a spare key for your grandfather’s house, I won’t need one. Fifth rule and final rule: We have to be together at all times… Wherever you go or I go, we will be together. ALWAYS… Unless I have something I have to do and it is too dangerous for you to come along, you will stay here. Any questions?” I stared at him, thinking. “No, no questions.” I said. “Good.” He said smugly. I really wish I could punch him.

I left his office and went back downstairs to where Tosh and Owen were. “Is everything alright?” Tosh asked. “Yea, just not used to him.” I said. Owen got closer to me and said, “You will. It just takes time. I punched him a few times when I saw him again after…. Well, it’ll take some time for you to get used to him. He likes to say weird things sometimes too.” If only Owen knew how weird Jack really is. I spent time with Tosh and Owen when Jack came over to us and said he would be accompanying me while I went, as he put it, house hunting. I wasn’t looking for a house, but then again, it would probably be better than a flat. I want something close to work though, but we shall see.

“UGH! This is so lame! Why can’t I find a nice place close to work?” I said out loud to myself. Jack looked over at me and was about to say something when his mobile rang. “Yeah? Have you found out who it is yet? Okay, well keep trying and when you have a name and location, call me.” Jack hung up his mobile. I had this sick feeling that he was trying to found out who hacked Torchwood’s servers. He doesn’t know it was me and Derek…yet. Uh oh. What would he do once he found out it was us? I'm not too sure I want to find out.