Chapter 8

**This is my fan-fiction story based on characters from the show Torchwood. I do not own the names of the characters, except a few, and I do not of course own the story of Torchwood. I just used the names and some of the storyline for my fan-fiction story. I hope you enjoy. Please feel free to leave comments.** 

We arrive at our destination. She squealed when she saw the house. “OH MY GOSH WOMAN!!” she yelled. “It’s super beautiful.” I nodded and said, “Wait ‘til you see the rest.” Jack walks up to us and asked if I was doing okay. “Why wouldn’t she be?” asked Em. “Oh. I just wanted to make sure she’s okay. That’s all.” Jack said. I unlocked the key and opened up the door. Just then, the alarm started to sound. Oh yea, I forgot I had an alarm system. I entered the code and it stopped. “Wow. This place is beyond gorgeous.” Said Em. “Go ahead and look around. I’m going to make a quick call.” I said as I headed back outside. “Alright, but don’t take too long. I may need you.” Em said as she headed up the stairs.

“I thought you would’ve told her.” Jack said as he came up behind me. “I was going to, but decided against it.” I said, trying not to cry again.  “It’s probably for the best right now. Don’t need her to mess things up or tell the wrong people what’s going on.” He said as he patted my back. “You should get back to her before she starts to worry or something.” I chuckled and went back into the house. Once inside, I headed up the stairs to look for Em. “There you are.” I said as I walked into my bedroom. “Can you believe this? I am so in love with your bathroom.” We both laugh. I showed her the rest of the house. “Want to go furniture shopping with me?” She looked at me like I had asked the dumbest question ever. “Of course I do!” We both laugh.

We head out to the shops. Jack’s not too far behind us. “Is everything alright? You seem different than usual?” I look over at Em. “Yea, I’m good, just been thinking about some stuff.” I continue driving until I find a spot to park. “We’ll start here and make our way around.” Em nodded and said, “Works for me.” As I park, I see Jack park two spots behind us. “Wish we could go shopping without him tailing us.” Em sounded a little annoyed. “Hm…I don’t mind. He’s doing a good job of protecting me and he makes good company when my grandfather has to work late.” Em looked over at me. She looks rather surprised. Not sure why though?

By the time we got done, I have just about everything I needed for my house. “Can we get something to eat? I’m starving.” Em said. “Yea. I think it’s past dinner time anyways.” I said as I looked at the time on my mobile. Just as I was about to ask Jack where he wanted to eat, he gets a call. “Yeah? Where? Alright. I’ll be there.” He walks over to me. “I don’t want to leave you. I don’t think you’ll be safe by yourself. Can we get something on the way?” I looked at Em. “What about her?” He looked at Em and said, “You take her car back to her grandfather’s house and leave the key somewhere only you and her know about. And then you get home quickly. You could be in danger too.” He looked back at me with the “Don’t argue with me” look. I took my car key off and handed it to her. “I’ll call you when I can. Just text me once you leave the key.” I hugged Em. “Okay. I’ll talk to you later. Be safe.” She hugged me one more time. “I’m safe when I’m with Jack.” I said as he and I walked to the SUV.

We head over to Torchwood where Tosh, Owen, and Suzie get in. We arrive at some alleyway. There’s a building on one side and a parking garage on the other. The police that were there seem to be leaving. “Stay here and do not get out.” Jack says as he stops the SUV. They all get out of the SUV, except me. This is the first time he’s brought me with him. I’ve never seen what they do when they deal with aliens and stuff. Since I’m in the backseat, I don’t see too much. I know that there’s a dead body and they are going to use alien tech for something. Just as I was getting ready to move to the front seat, my mobile beeped. It was Em. She left my car key and was headed home.

The team gets back into the SUV some few minutes later. They all seem upset. “Did it work?” I asked. “It did, but we didn’t find out what we needed.” Owen answered. “Maybe you’re not asking the right questions.” Owen looked back at me. He was going to reply, but Jack gave him a look and Owen turned back around. We arrive back at Torchwood and everyone unpacks their things and heads home. “Jack. Can I stay here? I don’t feel like being alone right now.” I said as I sat on the couch. “Yeah, of course. Or we could go back to the house and I could stay with you again. Whatever you choose.” He said as he sits next to me. “I would rather stay here. I feel safer here.” He nodded his head and put his arm around me. “I have somewhere you can sleep so you won’t have to sleep here on the couch.” Said Jack.

He stood up and held out his hand and I took it. He led me to a room that’s part of his office. There, next to the wall, was a bunker bed. It was attached to the wall and above the bed was a hole that looked up at the ceiling. It was like a hole big enough so that you could climb in and out of to get to the floor above. It wasn’t too bad looking. “You can sleep here.” He pointed to the bed while looking at me. “Is this where you usually sleep?” I asked as I sat down on the bed. “Yes, but I don’t usually sleep that much. Too much work to sleep.” He sat down next to me. I put my head on his shoulder. He kissed the top of my head and said, “You’ll be safe here. Don’t worry, the bed’s comfortable.” Then he got up, “Get some rest. Ianto and I will be here if you need us.” He started to walk out of the room, but just as he reached the door frame, he turned around, looked at me and said, “Good night Charlie.” and with that, walked out of the room.