Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 7)

Start from the beginning

'No, why? Should you?' Adaline looked over her shoulder for a second before laying her head back down on the pillow.

'No, I won't ever hurt you, but your pack is clearly worried about me.'

'Why?' Unable to stop herself, Adaline sighed as she was finally getting answers to the questions that have been plaguing her for the past few days. 'What about shifters has Doyle so freaked out?'

'Some of us aren't so nice, and we have a tendency to let the power to get to our heads. Being able to turn into anything we can imagine that has a heart beat is a bit frightening. We can go by being practically undetected of we can be so large we can take on full armies.' Sighing deeply, Griffin brought his lips to her ear. "I would never hurt your or your people."

'You mustn't talk. They have guards around the house, I saw them getting in place when I got home.' Adaline urged him not wanting to get in more trouble herself and not wanting the guards to drag Griffin away from her.

'Please turn and look at me. I want to see your face while I talk to you.' Unable to deny him any longer Adaline shifted around so she could see his pale freckled skin and his green and gold eyes staring at him intently. 'That's much better.' With a grin he brought his hand up to her cheek running his thumb across her cheek softly. 'I'm sorry about this morning.'

Nodding, Addie raised a hand and placed it gently on his wounded shoulder. 'How is it feeling?'

'It's fine, Addie.' They both laid there for a while just staring at each other but their contentment was short lived when they heard foot steps coming towards the door. 'I have to shift but I'll still be in here.' He pecked her forehead quickly before disappearing yet again.

Slowly the door creaked open and there stood Miles checking on her, Adaline pretended to be asleep as she waited for him to close the door. Even though it was only a few seconds it felt more like minutes until she heard the door latch back. Holding her position she didn't move until she felt a warm body against again. Opening her eyes she was greeted by a grin on Griffin's face.

'What?' She smirked back.

'I have been around the world and back, and I have never found someone as beautiful as you.'

'Do you use those lines on all the girls?' Rolling her eyes Adaline grinned.

'Nope, just my mate.' Staring back into her blue eyes, Griffin wanted to kiss her so badly it hurt. 'Can I kiss you?'

'If I tell you no?' Addie questioned as she looked reluctant to give in to him completely just yet.

'You may not believe me, but I'll respect that. It's just that I have to leave soon before they check on me back at the hospital. I just want something to remember you by.'

'Why are you leaving me now, and never coming back?' Her heart started thumping wildly at the thought of never being near him again.

With a silent 'shh' he softly rubbed her arm to calm her down, 'I'll be back, but we have to find a way to get through to your Alpha and Omega that I mean them no harm. I just want to be with you.'

'Yes.' Griffin's face turned to one of confusion. 'Kiss me, Griffin.' Instantly he smiled as he cupped her face gently in his hand bringing his face closer and closer to her until she could feel his breath tickling her lips. She breathed deeply hoping to memorize his scent so it would forever embedded in her memory, and in the next second Griffin had finally closed the space between them and pressed his lips against her softly savoring the electric feel they were sharing. 'Oh my God, that feeling. Do you feel it too?'

'Yes, I feel it.' Deepening the kiss he wrapped Adaline up in strong arms pulling her closer than before wanting to never let go. Beating him to the punch, Adaline grazed her tongue over his lips begging and pleading for entrance which Griffin graciously opened to her. Entangling his hands in her hair he wanted more, he could feel himself giving into their bond wanting nothing more than to remain with all night long. But after a internal battle with himself he pulled away regretfully. 'I have to go.'

Adaline frowned as watched him get up from her bed. Sitting on on her knees she watched him turn his back to her. 'I'll come see you in the morning. Okay?'

Turning around he walked back up to her wrapping his arms around her again, 'If you can, if not I'll come to you at night. Leave your window open in the evening, I'll let you know when I'm here.' Adaline nodded as she closed her eyes, for once she had the feeling she had been longing for and it had to leave. She never thought that once she found her mate she would have to fight for that too. Griffin could see the pained expression on her face and instantly lifted her chin up to kiss the pain away. 'I'll see you soon.'

'Okay.' And in a blink he was gone. Adaline rushed to the window and opened it up slightly to allow Griffin to slip out. The feeling finally being alone settled down on her shoulders as she slumped back in the bed. It may only be for a few hours but one thing Adaline was certain of she wasn't going to let the Alpha or Omega stop her from being Griffin. She was going to find a way for them to accept him or she would leave with him.

__

"Dad!" Doyle yelled as he stormed into his parents house. He could hear movement from upstairs, soon Connor was standing at the top of the stairs staring down at him.

"What's wrong?" Completely baffled as to his son's sudden arrival Connor made it down to the first floor in record time.

Feeling the tension building in his body Doyle began to pace back and forth in the entry way, but once his father reached out to stop him he halted right where he was. "That shifter, he said he's Adaline Auston's mate."

"What?" Connor cocked up one eye brow as he measured his son up. "Does Adaline feel the same way?"

"I don't know. I sent her away before she things could get worse, I didn't want her hurt because that unpredictable shifter can't contain himself." Doyle nerves were on end as he awaited to hear from his guards that they in fact caught the shifter trying to leave or come back over the pack's line.

"Before you take anymore steps, Doyle, you must talk with Adaline. But have you done that check on him like I told you to?"

"Yep. Sergeant Griffin James Caldwell, his father was also in the army as a higher ranking officer. I made some calls around, and it seems his father has some strength in the shifter community, many fear him and his temper." Doyle urged his father to hear the words of reason but Connor being as stubborn as his is wasn't having any of that.

"Doyle, just because your sources tell you one thing about his father doesn't mean it is so about his son. I have told you before that if you are going to be a good Alpha you should know when to follow you heart and not your overactive brain! If he is in fact Adaline's mate, who are we to stop them?" Speaking with strength and power behind his every word, Connor's words calmed his son's attitude down with in a matter of seconds. Now to get him to understand, he thought.

"We have to find him first, he shifted multiple times in front of me, lastly a giant lion, though I don't doubt that as many men I had with me we could of took him down. I don't like that this guy is potentially stronger than the two of us combined."

"He'd be smart to mind his manners when he's in the presence of such a large pack. If we go about this the right way we have the potential to make a complete truce with the shifters, though most of them have a tendency to stay far away from us or any other packs for that matter." Doyle began sighing heavily like an annoyed teenager. "And you will not mess this up for this pack or any other pack for that matter. You understand?"

"Yes." Doyle sneered

"Good, now in the morning I want you to bring Adaline to me. I want to question her. You aren't to question her before I can." Doyle nodded as he walked the short distance to the door. He gave his father a curt nodded before exiting his childhood home. Something about Griffin bothered him, but he just couldn't put his finger on it quite yet. Doyle knew as long as he had that feeling he would never stop until he discovered what was different.