"And?" She asks.

"And what?"

"Oh, come on. I know there's a very interesting story here. What kind of kiss was it?"

I groan and put my face in my hands. "Vivi!" I say from behind my hands. Then I take my hands away from my face and add, "This is so embarrassing."

She laughs and sits up on my bed, crossing her legs under her. "So it was a hot make-out session, then?"

I just stare at her, and she takes that as answer enough. She has that stupid grin on her face again.

"Uh-huh. I knew he wouldn't be able to keep his hands off you for long."

What exactly does she mean by that?

"What makes you say that?"

She lets out a sigh. "Oh, Jude. The way he's been talking about you these last few months has made it very obvious what his intentions are."

I sit up a little straighter. He talks about me? "What do you mean?" I can't help it, the question just slips out. But I want to know what intentions she's referring to

She looks at me, and I can tell by the expression on her face that she's debating on letting me in on this secret she's discovered.

"Well, I'm willing to bet all the riches of Faerie that Cardan Greenbriar, High King of Elfhame, is in love with you."

I snort. "What?" I manage to ask. "Cardan? In love with me?" I start laughing nervously. "Cardan doesn't do love." I say in a matter-of-fact tone. Part of me hopes what Vivi is saying is true.

She smiles at me then. "Oh he does, when it's you he's in love with."

I shake my head in disbelief. "He's just flirtatious. He's always been like that—with everyone. And this agreement between us—"

"It's not just some little scheme to take total control of his kingdom. It's permanent, Jude. He's doing it because he wants to protect you. And he's protecting you because he's in love with you. He can't bear to see you hurt ever again."

I shake my head once more, not willing to believe it.

"Just trust me on this one." She says softly, which compels me to look into her eyes again. "I've seen the spoiled, cruel Cardan, as well as the Cardan that mostly got along with his seneschal. This is different, Jude. He's different. This is the Cardan who's in love. And it's you he's in love with. It's not just a little crush."

I feel stunned, and still can't find it in me to form words. I feel the bed shift, and look up to see Vivi quietly leaving my room.

Cardan loves me? It's not possible. It doesn't make sense. I know that if I dare to hope that all of this is true, I'll find myself disappointed and heartbroken. I have Locke to thank for that mindset. Asshole.

I decide to tuck those thoughts away for now. First, I need breakfast. Maybe then my brain will work properly and I won't be so sucked in to Vivi's words.

I wander out to the kitchen a few minutes later and can smell toaster waffles and melted butter. I must be starving because that actually sounds like the best thing ever.

I toast two waffles for myself, and hear Vivi getting irritated about something in the living room.

"What is it?" I yell from the table as I devour my waffles. I can already feel my headache lessening.

She walks in, holding an empty frame in front of my face. "Oh, just this."

I stare blankly at her. "What's the joke? I don't get it."

She walks back into the living room and calls after me. I wander in, and see her and Heather both staring at our bookshelf. I follow their gaze and see our collection of pictures, but—oh. One of those frames is empty. A picture is missing. The one of Oak and me at the beach. Now I get it.

"Oak must be playing with the pictures again." I say.  "You know how he likes to move them to his room sometimes." Most of the pictures in Oak's room are of him, but I think he'd rather have pictures of the rest of us in there with him too.

"Oak!" Vivi yells, and he comes running down the hall.

"What?" He asks, wide-eyed and innocent.

"Would you please put that picture of you and Jude back in the frame?"

He looks at each of us, and shakes his head. "But I didn't—"

Vivi has a stern look on her face. She's in definite boss-mode right now, and no one should mess with her.

"Fine. I'll go look in my room." Oak promises, and wanders off. I'm the only one that hears him muttering under his breath, "But I didn't take it." It's really hard not to start laughing right now.

Vivi is a bit of a freak about these pictures. She's obsessed with making sure Oak has a normal childhood, and has gone overboard with the picture-taking and memory-making. She means well, but wow. Sometimes it's a little much.

I clean up my breakfast and the rest of the food that's still left out from everyone else. They've all headed out for the day to their respective jobs, spy assignments, and school.

I take a deep breath and mentally tick off the things I need to get done today, but first I need a shower.

I wander into the bathroom and turn the water on to let it warm up. I'm instantly taken back to yesterday when Cardan surprised me in the shower, and I smile.

I round up my clothes in my bedroom, and start stripping off the ones I have on, leaving me in just my underwear. I head out of my bedroom and glimpse myself in my mirror. I stop abruptly and try to look behind me, down at my own back. There's a tiny folded piece of paper tucked beneath my bra strap, next to my shoulder blade.

Cardan, for real. Do you ever stop with the surprises?

I awkwardly reach up behind me to grab it, but it's just out of reach. I head into the bathroom and decide to shed the bra in order to retrieve the mystery note. It falls to the floor, and I snatch it up to quickly unfold the paper and see what's on it. My eyes scan over the short bit of text:

Jude,

I miss you already, and I'm particularly jealous of what you'll need to do to remove this note. I should tell you I took a piece of you with me. Can you guess what it is? It won't take you long to figure it out.

See you soon.

Cardan

"What did you do?" I ask out loud, but can't keep a smile off my face. The little devil made it difficult to remove that note on purpose. And he knew I'd have to take my bra off to do it. I wonder what it is he took with him. The ruby ring, maybe?

I tuck the note underneath my clothes to keep it dry, and step into the spray of the shower. I tip my head back to wet my hair, and reach out with my eyes closed to grab my shampoo, but my fingers just cut through the air. I try again but hit the wall instead.

I snap my head up and open my eyes. My shampoo is gone. Along with my conditioner and body wash.

Cardan, you slippery bastard.

END OF CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Ha! I just love Cardan so much. He's constantly scheming and that makes my heart happy.

Please comment, vote, and add to your reading list. 😍

Love to you all!