Chapter 8

The next morning, Gemma got me up to help with breakfast again. This time was a lot less eventful. No company while I cooked, and no burns. After I was done cooking, I ate a quick breakfast in the kitchen alone and cleaned up in back. The Prospects could clean up out front. I heard Clay announce that we were all free to go, and breathed a sigh of relief.

I slipped back to my room to change and pack my bag. I was ready to go home and relax in my own bed. I was about to throw my bag out the window when there was a knock on the door. I dropped my bag down on the floor, "It's open," I called.

The door opened and Opie poked his head inside, "Hey, I didn't see you at breakfast."

"I cooked, and since you said we were leaving after breakfast, I just stayed in the kitchen to clean up," I replied.

He stepped inside and shut the door, "You sure you weren't just trying to avoid me?"

"No," I replied. I closed the distance between us, "I meant what I said last night. I want to give this a shot. I just need you to be patient with me."

He nodded and took my hands, "I know. Did you still want to take a ride?"

"Sure. I'd just like to go home and get cleaned up in my own bathroom," I replied, squeezing his hands.

"Fair. Plus, I need to get the kids home and settled again. We can go this evening," he said. "I'll pick you up around six."

"I'm looking forward to it."

"Good. I'll see you later." He squeezed my hands before letting them go and leaving me alone in the room.

When I was alone, I closed the window and picked up my bag and headed for the hallway. Sneaking out the window did look bad the more I thought about it. I slung my bag over my shoulder and walked out into the bar area.

"You headed home, baby?" Gemma asked.

"Yeah. I need to get my house picked up, and get my life in order again," I replied.

"Uh huh," she nodded

"Take it easy Cordy," Clay called from across the rooms.

"Will do," I called, heading out the door. My car was parked close. I threw the bag in the backseat and got in.

I drove out of the lot and went home without incident. I groaned upon seeing the state of my living room. I spent another hour cleaning that up before I took a shower.

As I got out of the shower, I headed for my bedroom. I stopped to look at a picture of David and I that I still kept on my dresser. Part of me wondered if this was a little bit wrong, but I brushed the thought away.

It was barely lunchtime and I was agonizing over what I was going to wear that night. I knew pants were a must if we were going for a ride. I'd settled on my favorite pair of jeans, but everything else was still up in the air.

Instead of worrying about that issue, I picked up my phone and called Jax. He picked up after a couple rings, "Hey, everything okay?"

"Yeah, I was just wondering if you were busy?" I asked.

"I'm not. What's up?"

"Can you come over? I wanted to talk to you about something." I did my best to play innocent for as long as I could.

"Yeah, sure. Be right there."

We hung up and I waited in my living room for him to show up. I paced quietly as I waited, turning when I heard his Harley turn down my street. I met him at the door to let him inside.