A Friend of the Family

Warning: minor swearing

__________

Jiraiya let out a long and loud yawn as he partway covered his mouth with one arm while the other stretched high above his head as he walked between his two teammates. It was still early evening, but all three sannin were exhausted from their mission at the Land of Water and were relieved to finally arrive at the Hidden Leaf Village's front gate. It's been three months since Jiraiya, Tsunade, and Orochimaru have been sent out to the Land of Water to fight on the front lines against infamous blood mist village.

"Who turn is it to do the report?" Orochimaru questioned his two teammates gazed at them with his golden slitted eyes.

"I think it's my turn," Jiraiya sighed out as his posture slouched forward dramatically.

"Good, that means I can take a nice long hot bath," Tsunade commented in a satisfied tone.

"Oh, do you need help washing your back," Jiraiya teased with flushed cheeks.

"Back off, pervert," Tsunade replied coldly elbowing Jiraiya in the gut knocking the wind out of him as Orochimaru just rolled his eyes.

__________

After turning in the mission report, Jiraiya made his way to the market to get some groceries for himself, and for his little honorary nephew. For about year this became a routine for the almighty toad sage. Whenever he returned from a mission, Jiraiya would buy some groceries for Kakashi.

Although, Kakashi told Jiraiya time and time again that the toad summoner doesn't have to get anything for him. But Jiraiya knew it was the least he could do considering the kid's situation. The sage knew that the villagers were speaking ill of the Hatake Clan since that godforsaken mission. At first, it was just whispers and worried glances, then the stares became glares full of angry and hatred as the villagers, and even some shinobi started slandering the name Hatake.

Jiraiya knew that Kakashi wasn't allowed to shop in some stores so he would go buy food for the kid before and after a mission. Jiraiya felt bad for not being there for Kakashi more, but everything he's tried to help the little Hatake hasn't worked. He's asked, or more like demanded the Hokage his old Sensei to help Kakashi. That the villagers and shinobi that were mistreating the boy should be stopped, but his Sensei refused and said: "that Kakashi is a chunnin now, and is now lawful an adult."

'Stubborn old man, can't you see that chunnin is a child that hasn't even lived to the age ten, yet?' Jiraiya criticized his old Sensei as he entered one of the grocery stores in the market. After grabbing two shopping baskets one for Kakashi, and the other for himself he started filling them up with food and supplies.

When satisfied with his task the toad sage went to the cashier, "did you find anything alright sir?" The cashier questioned giving Jiraiya an interesting looking as she started bagging the items from the two full baskets.

"Ha, yeah, just got back from a long mission only to find that everything in my fridge was spoiled," Jiraiya lied as he rubbed the back of his head in fake embarrassment as he paid for the groceries, too tired to even flirt with the pretty cashier.

"Well, that would do it! Thank you, have a good day!" She chuckled happily with a sweet smile.

"Thanks, you too," Jiraiya replied politely before dividing his now purchased groceries into two piles and sealed each pile into their own separate scroll. 'One for Kakashi and one for me.'

Exiting the store, Jiraiya started making his way through the market to make his way to the Hatake compound. But stopped at the sound of yelled a couple of buildings down Jiraiya let out a sigh, and continued his to the loud argument that was luckily on the way to the Hatake compound. Jiraiya could see a crowd forming around the commotion then began slipping his way into the crowd. Where two young kids with shinobi headbands on, were arguing loudly with a villager.