Part 1: Max, into trouble

This wasn't fair! How did he even get in this situation? When did he manage to screw up following the simple instructions of 'Stay on the path' enough to end up trapped in a cave with the entrance collapsed and water slowly trickling inside? At least for now the water didn't seem to be building up, but that didn't keep Max's ears from flicking back and his tail swishing in agitation over his wet surroundings. No, he did not like the water soaking the ground and his feet.

Well, at least he would be a prime example of his species should he ever be found. Curiosity killed the cat. Not that he was an actual cat, but with his pointed ears and slender tail humans often revered to his race as cat-people. Max was fine with that, though he was one of the few. He didn't have the dexterity or stealth of a real cat, but he did share their fascination for small moving things and shiny things. And that's how he ended up in here. His master had sent him through the mountain pass to the village on the other side. There was a letter that needed to get across as soon as possible. The pass was to treacherous for mounted travels and going around the mountains would take to much time. Since Felines were quicker and more agile than human, Max was chosen for this job. After a fifteen minute speech about the importance of the letter and warnings about anything and everything, Max had left the workshop in a travelers cloak and a backpack of food and water. The trip should take three days, so he was given eight days rations for the round trip.

He had been on the road for a full day when he saw a shadow next to his feet. The shadow moved away from him in a shattered pattern, triggering Max's need to chase after it. Hipping and jumping he had made his way away from the path into high grass and even further into a more rocky area. He hadn't noticed he entered a cave until the chill of the underground hit his skin. With a shiver he looked up to be met with a gleam a little deeper in the cave. Of course, he had to see what it was. Mesmerized by the gleam he missed the protruding rock, making him trip and curse loudly when he felt his wrist bend the wrong way and snap. The shout triggered rocks outside of the cave to come tumbling down, blocking his way out. After what felt like an hour the first water started to trickle in. Luckily, it had been dry for a long time and the ground absorbed the water thirstily. Hopefully it would keep doing that.

Max took another deep breath and turned his back to the blocked cave entrance. He'd need to go into the darkness. Maybe he'd find a way out on the other side.