Scary Movies & Midnight Snacks

Start from the beginning

I woke up to the DVD menu on the screen, where it had to have been for a while. Everyone else was sleeping soundly in the dark room.

Poor Yvee was the first one to doze off about half an hour into her movie, and I followed after Eli. Jarod typically outlasted us, so I assumed Theo fell asleep before him.

I stretched and climbed over the arm of the couch so as to not disturb the boys laying on the floor. Once I turned the television off, I tiptoed to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

When I was done, I snuck into the kitchen for a glass of water. Hopping onto the countertop, I took a sip from the glass. My eyes closed when I stifled a yawn as I swung my legs lightly to stay awake.

When I opened them to take another sip of water, I jumped and nearly dropped the glass.

The way Theo came out of the darkness was terrifying. I regretted not leaving the TV on in the living room since it was the only source of light in there. The dim light above the stove made it all the more eerie.

"Don't do that!" I whispered harshly with my hand against my racing heart. I was wide awake after that little scare.

"Sorry," he whispered back but didn't sound like he meant it.

As he dragged his feet towards me and moved further into the light, I noticed his black t-shirt. The top half of his onesie was tied securely around his hips. He must have done that after I fell asleep, like the rule didn't apply anymore. I would have called him out on it, but the rule was fake and that shirt was snug.

"I hope I didn't wake you," I ventured to raise my tone slightly when he was close enough.

"You didn't. I'm just a light sleeper," he gave me a lazy smile.

He picked up my glass with a questioning look as if to ask if he could have some. I nodded.

After taking a few gulps, he stated in a volume matching mine, "So I thought of another question."

"Kind of late for that, isn't it?" I asked, watching him yawn.

"Nah, it's never too late for our little question game."

We were awake enough and I could think of a few questions too, so I shrugged, "Ask away."

"Did you really dress up as the school mascot for a day?"

My brows furrowed. "What made you think of that of all things?"

Theo motioned to my onesie.

"Yes," I answered after a smile. "For a pep rally. There's also a small detail that isn't widely known..."

"Do tell, Sugar," he encouraged, his eyes sparking with interest.

"Rival school kidnapped me. Turns out that was the reason why I was asked to do it by the regular mascot. Someone warned him about the plan, but he neglected to tell me." Then I muttered, "He was such a chicken shit."

Theo chuckled lowly. "How did you handle that?"

"Well, obviously they weren't expecting a sweet, pretty blonde girl beneath the costume. I convinced them over some lovely pastries from Stressed--which they so graciously paid for since I 'forgot my wallet'--to let me go."

He smirked, "When in reality you wanted to...?"

"Make them wish they were wearing their jockstraps for protection," I said, kicking my leg out for effect. "I don't tolerate manhandling."

"If only we had known each other then," he said, clicking his tongue.

"Why?"

"They wouldn't have gotten within six feet of you."