A Black Knight & Female Dogs

~ A Black Knight & Female Dogs ~

~¤°*°*°*°¤~

I went over to Yvette's house to get ready for the party. Her place was close to Craig's, so the three of us were meeting there and going to the party together. I contemplated backing out, but I wasn't willing to face the repercussions of that choice.

"Remind me again why we have to go to this thing," Yvee said. She was holding up two shirts in front of her mirror.

"Because I'm worse than a chicken. I'm chicken shit," I muttered miserably. Yvette's reflection smirked at me. She absolutely loved the rare moments when a curse word slipped out of my mouth. "We don't have to stay for long. Maybe an hour or so."

"No." She turned and sat beside me on the bed. "You are not. You have your reasons. If anything, you're brave shit." I gave her a funny look, but she laughed and wrapped her arm around me. "I'm just upset that I have to wear sneakers when I should be wearing fluffy socks."

"You and me both," I agreed with a smile, glancing down at my beaded flats. I matched them with a borrowed pair of Yvee's jeans and a modest halter top.

"My only concern is how we're going to keep Jarod out of trouble," she said, standing back up to change into the cropped tee she chose to go with her dark skinny jeans.

Sarcastically, I asked, "What trouble could he possibly get into?"

Just then, the door was pushed open and Jarod stepped in unannounced. Yvee had her back to the door and the shirt over her head, completely unaware of his presence.

Until he started laughing. "Are those pink hearts?"

I plugged my ears as Yvette shrieked. When she got it all out, I asked him, "Couldn't you knock first?"

"I did knock!" He shouted in defense, pivoting so his back was to the room. "On the front door," he finished, dropping his head in shame.

Yvette hurried to put the crop tee on, making herself decent so she could scold him. He knew better then to come in without knocking, especially Yvette's room. He only did it once before, and she happened to be changing then too. The book she threw at his face and the tiny scar on his forehead from the corner of the book was enough of a reminder to never do it again. Her target was the wall behind him, but she had bad aim. Or good, depending on how one viewed it.

"I'm sorry! I'm just so excited about the party," he tried to reason with her. "Please don't hurt me!"

Her fuming didn't last long, since she rolled her eyes and sighed. "I said I was sorry, didn't I? I gave you one barely visible scar, that doesn't mean I'm violent."

Without taking his eyes off of Yvee, Jarod sidestepped to sit beside me on the bed. He put his hands on my shoulders and pulled me over to shield him.

I shoved him away with a laugh. "You should know by now, Jarod. She may look tough on the outside, but inside she's just like her bra. She's covered in little pink hearts." A pillow slammed into my face and dropped to the floor. I smiled as Yvee muttered to herself and finished getting ready.

My attention returned to Jarod. "Why are you so excited about a party? You should be dreading it like the rest of us."

"Because we're in our third year and we haven't ever been to a real party. It's a new experience! Even if it's a jerk throwing it, we can still have fun." He grinned, his cheeks still a shade darker from what just happened.

Yvette was right, if anyone was going to get into some trouble, it would be Jarod. My hands were going to be full watching over my best friends and keeping a check on Theo. I expected him to make my night more than the living hell it was already going to be for me.