Karma's Witch & A Candy-Loving Demon

Dedicated to mialuvsreading for being soooooo patient with me. Check out her book recommendations and author interviews! Thank you, Mia! ^v^

A shout out to Lonely_Art_of_Life for using Skittles & Science in her book club!

~ Karma's Witch & A Candy-Loving Demon ~

~¤°*°*°*°¤~

"Ms. Hensley, may I speak with you for a moment?" Mrs. Cordier asked me as students filed out of the classroom.

With a sick feeling that it had to do with the omelette incident yesterday, I nodded and approached her. Mad didn't even begin to describe how I felt when I saw that smug look on Theo's face. He must really hate me to do something so low. I tasted the inedible eggs when he had his back turned. I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of seeing my reaction, because I knew it had to be bad. It was worse than what I imagined. There was enough salt in it to ward off a hundred demons.

Except for the one haunting this classroom, I threw a look at the sleeping devil behind me.

I obviously couldn't handle the situation the way I wanted to, which probably would have turned out violently, so I acted as if nothing was wrong and ignored him the rest of the day. I could have told the teacher, but why cause trouble for anyone? Besides, it was not like I couldn't make up for it. Unless, of course, he sabotages my work every time we have to cook something, my eye twitched at the mere thought.

"What's up?" I asked her when everyone else was gone.

Except for Mr. Snores-A-Lot. Okay, maybe he doesn't snore, but I have seen some drool. I didn't bother waking him up yesterday, and I wasn't planning on doing it again. I would not be his own personal alarm clock.

"I would like to talk to you about yesterday's assignment."

I inwardly cringed, waiting to hear about her disappointment. What made it even worse was feeling his presence. He may have been asleep, but he was still in the room.

"I was informed about the accident, and I want to assure you it won't affect your grade. I must say, I don't understand why you didn't tell me yourself."

"Accident?" I asked, confused as to what she was saying.

"Ms. Hensley, there is no need to cover for Mr. Keller. He won't be reprimanded because of a mishap." She then muttered to herself, "Back-talking, on the other hand..."

"I'm afraid I'm not following."

The teacher sighed, more than likely bothered that she had to spell it out for me. "Mr. Keller explained to me this morning that he unintentionally spilled the salt into your pan."

"Oh," was the only thing I could think of to say. Unintentionally? I did have my doubts, but he didn't need to say anything. Maybe it was just an accident after all. Should I thank him for clearing it up?

Mrs. Cordier stood and gathered some papers. "Don't be too late for your next class, Ms. Hensley." She left me with an encouraging smile.

There's my answer.

I cleared my throat, feeling awkward and unsettled. I wasn't used to being around someone like Theo. He was intimidating to me, and I could not place why I felt that way. He seemed to treat me like little red riding hood. He was the big bad wolf, watching his prey, ready to dive in for the kill at any moment. Maybe that's a teeny tiny exaggeration on my part.

My footsteps were the only thing heard when I moved towards him. I had no qualms about waking him up on day one, but when I had to thank him, I was more reluctant to do it.