Chapter 1

Zane

Present Day

I glance over at Kendra. She's wearing a grey sweatshirt from her older sister's college. Her black curly hair is pulled up into a puff. She's not wearing any makeup today.

"Sorry I look so rough today, I overslept." She tells me. She's staring at the sidewalk.

I keep my eyes on her.

"You look fine." I tell her. She rolls her eyes.

"Well, you have to say that. You're my best friend." She laughs.

I sigh. Best friend.

We continue to walk in silence until we arrive at school.

"I'll see you in a bit. I'm going to run in the bathroom to fix this." She gestured at her whole body.

I scoff.

"You don't have anything to fix, but sure, see you later." I reply. She rolls her eyes and turns around, heading for the bathroom.

I watch her walk away, I have no idea what she's talking about, she's so beautiful.

I turn back around and walk to my locker.

I put away my backpack and jacket. I shut my locker and walk to my first class. I stand by the door and wait for Kendra.

She walks up and smiles at me. I love her smile. She has two really deep dimples.

Her hair is the same as before, but her eyebrows are darker and better shaped, she has lip gloss on and she took off her sweatshirt, revealing her white, short-sleeved shirt.

I reach over to hold her hand, but she walks away too quickly. I play it off like I was stretching.

I walk into class and sit down. I'm so embarrassed. I hope she didn't notice.