The Confrontation

"Go Nymph! I win again!" cried Malcolm, slamming the deck of cards down on the rough slab of rock Percy and him were using as a makeshift table.

"Hey! You're a child of Athena, so you have the advantage!" Percy glared, standing to stretch his aching limbs. They had been sitting in the clearing for a good two hours now, and there still hadn't been any sign of Nyx. Thank gods Malcolm had brought the deck of Go Nymph cards, because otherwise he would have gone bored crazy an hour ago.

Sitting back down, Percy took out the vúxta from his pocket and set it down in his lap. The purple streak through the centre of the triangular stone pulsed and quivered, seemingly alive at his touch. Gingerly taking hold of the gleaming gold chain, Percy wrapped it around his finger and lifted it to his eyes, taking in every detail of the stone. It's pure, smoky black surface that writhed like a spooky forest, it's pulsating purple line, the small steadily growing white light in the middle, the-

Wait, what?

Looking closer again, Percy found a pinhead sized gleam of bright white expanding in the middle of the vúxta.

"Malcolm! Look at this!" Percy whispered sharply, keeping his eyes on the dot that had now grown to the size of a drachma.

Malcolm raced over from packing away the cards, gasping as the light came into view. Then Percy felt the shift. It was like the blood running through his veins started pumping faster, and he felt stronger somehow. He could feel it. Feel her presence entering his mind after the short absence. Feel her on the verge of entering the portal.

"She's coming" Percy said, looking straight into Malcolm's nervous eyes. He stood quickly and grabbed the now shining white vúxta, placing it in his pocket. "Ok, now Malcolm, you remember the plan right?"

"Of course!"

"Ok then, go stand behind the bushes and watch. If I fail to deter Nyx, warn the camp" Percy said, shoving the child of Athena behind a thick clump of shrubs.

"Stay here. She's pretty weak, so I don't think she'll be able to sense you" he said, staring at the ground which was now trembling slightly.

"Ok, I've got it" Malcolm grimaced nervously, holding out the conch horn to reassure Percy, but it was probably to reassure himself.

There was a loud pop, and an eery purple light bathed the clearing, radiating from a large door shaped portal. Then Nyx appeared, her usual thick, midnight cloak hanging over her face and body as she

hovered through.

Percy stepped away from the bushes concealing Malcolm, and edged towards his mistress. "Hello, Nyx" he said, facing the goddess.

"That is Lady Nyx to you, Perseus" she replied monotonously, before turning to survey the area. "Where is my vúxta? I can sense it!"

"I'm sorry Nyx, but you won't be getting that back today" Percy said as he stepped toward her. Nyx's cloak turned slowly towards him. "What did you just say?" She said in that monotone voice, now with a venomous undertone.

"Im not going to give you the vúxta, Nyx. I'm not going to let you destroy Camp Half Blood" he replied just as monotonously.

"They betrayed you! I was the one who saved you, who took you in and made you superior! Not them!" she hissed violently, taking a shaky step towards Percy.

"I know you manipulated them Nyx. Stop playing innocent. I'm never going to let you destroy my home"

This was the moment that could change everything. What was she going to do?

An eery calmness swept over the clearing as Nyx lifted the hood from her face, those beautiful pinpoint eyes now malice filled slits. "I will destroy this camp, and there is nothing you can do to stop me"

"I can try" Percy pulled out Riptide and advanced slowly.

"Ha! Puny Anaklusmos will not stop me!" Nyx grinned, eyeing the sword.

Percy Lunged. Nyx laughed and sidestepped, producing a set of black daggers from her cloak.

'Where the Hades did she get those from?' Percy thought as he parried a blow from the knife. He brought Riptide down again, aiming for a direct blow to the head, but it was cut off by her dagger. Nyx lifted the other knife and sliced a cut on Percy's leg, but he barely felt it.

Percy lunged again, this time aiming for her chest. It connected, and sent a bewildered Nyx stumbling backwards. She stared at him for a moment, before directing her gaze toward his pocket.

The pocket the vúxta was in.

"There it is" she smiled, and threw one of her daggers. It sliced through the lining of the pocket, causing the vúxta to roll onto the ground.

Nyx stared at Percy.

Percy stared at Nyx.

They both stared at the vúxta.

Before any of them had a chance to leap on the stone, a piercing horn cut through the air, followed by two more. Malcolm jumped out from behind the bushes and scooped up the stone, running in the direction of the camp.

Nyx was hot on his heels.

***

The end is near! The end is near! I'm sorry for the crappy few updates lately. There are gonna be around two more chapters in this story, so be aware. Oh, and I would really like some constructive criticism too if that's ok. Oh yes - Blood of Olympus is only TWO WEEKS AWAY! The 12 month struggle is nearly over guys. PS - why don't you just tap the star, even if you're not on the internet and see what happens?

Vote

Comment

Fan

Jaydeebooboo 🍈