Chapter Eighteen

A few days later Zoe was home alone as Richard was out as a guest on the Graham Norton Show which was recording that afternoon before being shown on Friday night. She was starting to get used to it now after all the promotion Richard had had to do for Beyond recently and she usually busied herself around the house while he was gone. She put some of their washing in the machine and then got the vacuum cleaner from out of the cupboard. She was just cleaning round the living room floor when she heard her phone ringing. She turned the vacuum cleaner off and looked at the screen to see a number she didn't recognise but pressed accept.

"Hello darling" said the caller. Even though it had been five years since she had last heard this voice she recognised it straight away. It was her mother. Zoe didn't know what to say, she was shocked. Why now after all this time?

"How are you Zoe?" Her Mum asked ending the silence.

"Fine" Zoe replied keeping it short, still confused by the sudden contact after all this time.

"I saw a picture of you in the newspaper yesterday with your boyfriend at that film premiere and I have heard your song" her Mum continued.

"What do you want Mum?" Zoe asked starting to get frustrated.

"I am just phoning to see how you are darling, how's Daniel and Mum too?" She asked.

"You haven't cared about us for five years, why the sudden interest?" Zoe asked, he voice getting sharper.

"Now Zoe don't be like that, times were different back then?" Her Mum replied.

"How were they different Mum? You abandoned your daughter and your disabled son! Who was the person who has worked their ass off just to be able to keep a roof over her brothers head and be able to pay for his care. I haven't had any life for the last five years." Zoe spat.

"When you certainly seem to be living one now Zoe. A rich actor boyfriend,  a number one song and attending film premieres" Her Mum replied viciously.

"So that's why you have called out the blue then, I'm famous now and let me guess you want a piece of that game" Zoe said hitting herself for not realising this sooner.

"Now Zoe That is not why I have called at all" he Mum tried to protest but Zoe cut her off.

"Well seeing as your are the number one parent of the century, you might like to know that your Mother and your Son have now passed away and please don't ever call this number again as your daughter doesn't want to know you. Goodbye Mum." Before her Mum had chance to say anymore Zoe ended the call and in her angry state she threw the phone at the wall. She heard a smash as the phone hit but she didn't care. She dropped to her knees and the sobs started.

Richard arrived home an hour later to find Zoe lay on the floor her body all tucked up.

"Zoe what's wrong" he asked as he rushed over to her side. He looked at her face and she had been crying. He noticed her smashed phone on the floor besides him.

"Zoe I need you to talk to me" Richard said as he helped her up into a sitting position. "What's happened."

Zoe explained all about the phone call to Richard.

"How dare she!" Richard spat once Zoe had finished telling him. "She better hope she never meets me with everything I want to say to her right now!"

He pulled Zoe into his arms and held her tightly to his body.

"We will get you a new phone and a new number and then she will never be able to contact you again" Richard said as he kissed her forehead. "I'll never let her get to you."