Favorite Spots

Castiel wanted to return to the bash after leaving Xavier's room. We take a detour and walk slower than usual. It's quiet between us, but a nice kind of quiet. We haven't gotten to spend much time alone together since —

           “Tell me something about you,” he says suddenly. Castiel — unlike me — does not look the least bit drunk. But my mom always taught me that looks can be deceiving. “Anything. Give me two truths and one lie.”

             I try to smile: “My favorite adult beverage is tequila, my favorite movie was Pulp Fiction and . . . I never finished high-school.”

           “You never finished high-school is the lie.” Castiel guesses easily.

            I shake my head. “You guessed so wrong; the lie was my favorite movie. I dropped out my junior year and moved out on my own when I was seventeen. I worked two jobs, got my GED . . . life wasn't exactly easy.” the mood between us is darkening, and the last thing I want is for Castiel to start asking questions.

            “What is your favorite movie?” He asks instead.

             “Titanic,” I tell him honestly. “I'm a sucker for a good romance.”

           “Of course,” I didn't like Castiel's smug little grin. “I pegged you for the  romance type, and a bad liar. But maybe you aren't such a bad liar, after all.”

            A couple streaks past us running naked and filled with laughter and silly string. They immediately pelt out a lame happy birthday to the Prince before moving quickly along, chasing after one another.

           “Is it always like this here? Parties I mean.”

           “Not always.” Castiel says softly.

           “It's your turn, Cas; two truths and a lie.”

            Castiel shoves his hands into the pockets of his dress pants. “Okay, but afterwards I think it's definitely time to take a few tequila shots. Two truths and a lie,” he says slowly, staring thoughtfully down at the marble floor. “I have an older brother, I don't want to be married . . . and I'm completely addicted to Cheese Doodles.”

            “You don't have an older brother? I thought you were an only child.”

            Castiel shakes his head now. “He's an illegitimate son of Hades,” he explains. “Persephone despises him, tries not to acknowledge his existence . . . his mother was a mortal; he lived among mortals until he violently died.” he looks over at me. “No matter how much tequila you ply me with tonight, his identity will remain a secret.”

           “Well, here I thought tequila could make you spill all your secrets.”

            “No, but I'm sure they'll spill yours.” Castiel winks.

            I try not to think about the kiss; the moment where I presses my lips to Xavier's. It was brief but in one single moment everything was perfect. But it can't be perfect. It shouldn't be. Xavier isn't the Prince; he took a beating that wasn't meant to be his. He sacrificed his body and risked everything to keep me safe. I wonder if the Infirm Nurse got to him yet, or if he's thinking about me.

         Castiel leads me into the meal hall. Few tired-looking servants are still lingering around carrying silver trays filled with alcohol or food. Castiel beckons one over, taking two blue drinks in a goblet-glass I don't think I could finish. He orders her to get us four shots of tequila, and she goes on her way. He clinks glasses with me, “to new beginnings.” he toasts.