Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

"Ah-" Dino says, holding up his hand, "before you could. I got her after him, remember?"

In an instant, I feel jealousy rile up in my chest as I watch Will make Joey laugh. It causes my muscles to feel tight and my heart to pound harder, pumping blood faster through my body and turning my neck red.

Normally, I wouldn't care about Will making a move. But with Joey, it's different.

Everything with her is different.

"Whoa, Calvetti calm down man," Dino says, but I start walking away before I can answer him.

My path is clear, shoulders squared, jaw set, eyes tight on Will who needs to take a few hundred steps back. I need to loosen my grip on her Polaroid camera or else I may break it.

Joey notices me before he does, and instead of jumping away from Will as though she's been caught doing something wrong, she takes her attention completely away from him and places it on me with a small smile. The softness of her grin makes my muscles relax, if only slightly, and I offer a smile in return.

"You left this in my trailer," I say, my voice still tight as I extend the camera to her.

Joey takes it, standing on her tiptoes to reach up and kiss my cheek out of generosity. "Thank you."

As her lips land on my cheek, I send a hard glare to Will who's watching with surprised eyes. I slip into the position Will had been in before he took a step back, and he puts his hands up, completely backing off.

Suddenly, a flash goes off and I direct my attention back to Joey who is slowly lowering her Polaroid from her face to reveal a tiny smirk.

"Why did you just take a picture?" I ask.

She waits a few moments for it to develop and tilts her head as she looks at it. Then she lifts her twinkling brown eyes to me.

"Jealousy looks good on you."

I snort and try to play it off, "Babe, I don't get jealo-"

My response is cut short when Joey shoves the picture into my line of sight. My eyes are narrowed and nostrils flared as I stare daggers into Will.

Clearly jealous.

I look back at Joey and roll my eyes at her sly smile.

"Oh, whatever."

Joey chuckles, "It's cute," she winks before placing it in her pocket and starting on her way to class.

But I reach out and take her hand as she tries to walk past me, pulling her back. I intertwine our fingers and smile at her.

We haven't really discussed the other night in the tent. Yes, we had sex. But with the events the next morning, we never talked about the fact it happened or what it meant.

"So," I start with an awkward grin.

Joey quirks a brow, "Sooo," she mocks me, "Yes, Rhett. We had sex. Don't act so awkward about it," she teases. "With how often you've done this I expected a better opening comment."

My smile from her teasing drops at her last sentence and I squeeze her hand. I don't like her insinuating my night with her is just going to be thrown into the mix with the other girls. Joey means more to me. My night with her meant more to me.

"Joey, about that-"

But she smiles and waves it off, "Rhett, have I ever judged you for the girls before me?"

I sigh and shake my head.

"Exactly. Everyone is allowed to have their fun, even you and me," she says with a wink, kissing my cheek before fully pulling away to walk to class.

But I'm not sure how much I liked her comment, so I turn around and call out to her.

"Fun?" I echo, and she stops walking.

She turns to me and tilts her head. "I mean, I'd consider it a fun time, yeah."

My frown deepens, "That was more than just a little bit of fun to me."

Joey's face melts into a frown and she walks back to me, resting her hand on my arm. "I know that, Rhett." She stands on her tiptoes to set a soft kiss on my lips, nudging my nose with hers. "You act like I'm the one playing you," she teases as she pulls back.

"I'm not-"

"Rhett," she laughs, "You need to learn how to take a small joke." 

I chuckle at her and hang my head from being so quick to defend myself against a joke. I lift my eyes back to hers and smile, stealing one more kiss before letting her go off to class. 

Vote and Comment  

UPDATE: This book will now have a completed total of 30 chapters. The 30th being the epilogue :)