"We're really Arabian slave traders and we're thinking about shaughaing them. They're worth ten camels apiece at least."

"Five," Two-bit disagreed. " They don't talk Arabian, I don't think. Say something in Arabian, Johnnycake."

"Aw, cut it out!" Johnny broke in. I was planning on confrontaning him later when he asked. "Where is ol'Dally anyway?"

"He went hunting some action-booze or a fight. I hope he don't get jailed again. He just got out."

"He'll probably find the fight," Two-bit stated cheerfully. "That's why I came over. Timothy Sheppard and Co are looking for whoever so kindly slashed their car's tires, and since Mr. Curly Sheppard spotted Dally doing it...well... Does Dally have a blade?" He said the Sheppard gang like it was a bad piece of fruit. I'd say, we don't get along with them good enough, but Curly Sheppard was my best buddy.

So the gang accepted that, but Steve looked like he would bust my head open.

"Not that I know of." I said, picking up on the conversation. "I think he's got a piece of pipe, but he busted his blade this morning."

"Good, Tim'll fight fair if Dally don't pull a blade on him. Dally shouldn't have any trouble."

Cherry and Marcia were staring at us. "You don't believe in playing rough or anything, do you?"

"A fair fight ain't tough." Two-bit said. I looked at his eyes. They were gray instead of his contact red- if he had any-eyes. He stared at me, I couldn't help but feel so small when he or the rest look at me. I felt dizzy when I saw his pupils dialte in front of me. What was my plan again?

"Yeah boy," Cherry said, unconcerned. "real simple."

"Sure," Marcia said, sarcastically, "I he gets killed or something, you just burg him. No sweat."

"You dig okay, baby." Two-bit grin and lit a cigarette. "Anyone want a weed?"

I looked at Two-bit admirly. He sure put things into words good. Maybe he was still a junior at eighteen and a half, and mabe his sideburns were too long, maybe he did get boozed up too much, but he understood things.

Cherry and Marcia shook their heads at his offering of cigarettes, but Johnny and I reached for one, our hands touched and his hand went out so fast I thought his weed was on the ground. It wasn't. Him and Two-bit had a look on their faces, and what creeped me out, was they both looked hungry. Johnny was eyeing me like I was a fresh, cut, chicken.

"Ponyboy, will you come with me to get some popcorn?" Cherry asked. I silently thanked her, Johnny came back from his trance.

I jumped up. "Sure. Y'all want some?"

"I do." Marcia said. I looked over at the others, Johnny and Two-bit looked like they were having a silent conversation. Two-bit had an angry look, Johnny was pleading. If looks could kill Johnny would be ashes. Two-bits face looked at me- a kind of protective look-in his eyes.

Protective? Against two Socy girls who might have a blade. Fat chance.

"Me too," said Two-bit. He flipped me a fifty- cent piece, and looked at Johnny without missing a beat. "Get Johnny some, too. I'm buyin'." he added and sat down by my seat, away from Johnny. I was about to say something when Johnny had the same look as Two-bit.

I followed Cherry to the concession stand, but as usual, there was a line a mile long, so we had to wait. Quite a fee kids turned to look at us. You didn't see a kid grease and a socy cheerleader together often. Cherry didn't seem to notice.

"You're friend-one with the sideburns- he's okay?"

"He ain't dangerous like Dallas if that's what you mean. He's okay."