Chapter 7: Bad boy Jones

Start from the beginning

Killian pressed the red button and I leaned towards the glass with wide eyes, watching the claw scoop down and pick up the brown teddy bear that I dropped.

We both anxiously watched it arise, slowly being pulled towards the hole.

Almost there, almost there, almost there...

A gasp escaped my mouth as the teddy bear fell in and I watched Killian take it out.

"You actually got it!" I exclaimed.

"Of course I did," he chuckled smoothly which made me roll my eyes. "Here, it's yours," he said, handing it to me.

"Really?"

"You seem to really like it," he shrugged. "Besides, I don't really keeping this kind of stuff."

I couldn't help but smile, taking the stuffed toy with both hands and hugging the soft thing against my chest. I always wanted to buy Panda a friend.

"Thanks Killian, I promise to take good care of it!" I beamed.

But my smile slowly faded away.

"Um, are you okay?" I asked. "You look kind of red."

"Right uh, let's go now, it's getting late," he quickly said, walking past me.

What's up with him?

I shrugged, following him out of the mall, but frowned as he took out a packet of cigarettes from his pocket.

I watched as he placed a cigarette between his lips, kind of fascinated by how naturally he lit it, thinking that he actually looked kind of cool.

I wonder why he smokes.

He inhaled before blowing the other way, perhaps so that the smoke wouldn't come my way.

"Helps me get away from my bitter thoughts," he said, making me realise that I did it again. "My life's kind of rough since I don't get along with my parents," he murmured, eyes falling to the ground.

"Oh," I frowned. "I'm so sorry-"

He snorted, flickering his pistachio eyes towards me with a sly grin. "You were expecting me to say something like that, weren't you?" he snickered.

My brows furrowed. "Wait, so it's not true?"

"Not at all," he laughed. "I just smoke because I like the feeling."

"That feeling is killing yourself," I snorted.

"Better die young and happy than old with regrets," he smiled. I pursed my lips, fiddling with my sleeves.

I don't know why in the world I was asking this but-

"Then... Can I try one?" I asked in a small voice. Killian raised a surprised brow.

I know that my friends and family always told me how bad smoking was, but I always wanted to try one, just out of curiosity.

"Is Carter Jones really asking me for a cigarette?" He gasped.

I felt my face turn red. "I-I-I just want to know what it feels like," I mumbled sheepishly, eyes falling to the ground. "Forget it-"

"Here," he said, offering me one. "You don't get addicted after one smoke so you'll be fine. Besides, I don't think that you'll like it anyway."

I pursed my lips, staring at the cigarette as if it was something from outer-space. "Will I die?" I squeaked, which for some reason, made him laugh.