I quelled the hurt I was feeling, pulled my backpack higher over my shoulder and straightened my back. Why was I still expecting? I shouldn't get hurt, I was used to this. "Okay," I said bravely, "So what brings you here?"

The man in the three-piece suit gestured to the car behind him. "Please get inside the car, Miss."

I eyed the car questioningly before sighing tiredly. I was already late for work anyway. There was really no point arguing with Chris, he was the messenger and he always saw to it he had the work done. I climbed in and he drove us around to the better side of the neighborhood, somewhere closer to my school before stopping in front of a condominium complex.

"Shall we?" he'd asked.

I had a vague idea of what was going on but I shook it off. That was impossible. But when we entered the building and the receptionist greeted Chris, my doubts only grew. The elevator was state-of-the-art and Chris pressed the eight floor. I looked up to his face but he ignored me so I kept quiet. And when we got out, we walked the aisle to the door at the end. He flipped open the key panel and pressed in the password. The door beeped once before opening. He went in and I followed.

I couldn't help myself as I looked around. It was an extravagantly furnished apartment. Carpeted floors, cream sofas and a flat-screen TV mounted on a soundproof wall. A small balcony with the full view of the university grounds. A kitchen and island counter. Two doors to what I assumed were rooms.

"Quit your menial jobs."

I glanced back at my dad's secretary. "What?"

"Move from that dangerous box you're—"

"Chris—"

"—living in and for heaven's sake, stop acting like you're disowned!"

My eyes widened when he raised his tone. I was speechless. Seeing my reaction, the man in front of me cleared his throat awkwardly then fixed his tie. He shrugged, "I was told to relay you the message exactly."

That definitely sounded like my father. But hearing those words in the exhausted state I was in, I wanted to cry. I swallowed hard. "Okay."

Tugging at his tie, the secretary stepped closer. He pulled out a card and extended it to me, "For your expenses. The place is close enough to the university so you don't have to drive and you'll get to exercise. No need for a car and possible drunk driving. Don't drink in excess, I know how college parties can be and get enough sleep. Never make decisions you can't follow through or come back from. Are we clear?"

His words were sort of slow to sink in. And when they did, I asked even more slowly. "Still from my dad?"

Chris smiled humorlessly, "I would've told you to wing it."

With the mess that I was living in in the last three months, I was suddenly feeling relief. Laughter bubbled up, along with the tears that I had to hold back. It would be embarrassing to cry in front of my dad's right-hand man. I ducked as my hand reached for the card and tucked it into my back pocket but Chris already saw. There was a flicker of something in his expression before he stepped back and we were thrust into silence.

All that before he sighed, "I've worked for him for the last ten years and I don't agree with everything the chairman does. But you realize he's a good man, right? what he does, he does for you. I know you're old enough to understand."

He was a good man. Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, that never left. The idea always clung to me and I always drifted back to thinking the best of him. He cares. He just had a strange way of showing it.

I breathed in deeply before looking up at the older man in front of me, "Could you tell my dad, thank you. I really appreciate it." It was like salve was applied to my bleeding heart and it hurt a little less.

Chris smiled and bowed his head mockingly, "Of course, Miss."

"Scar? Come on, don't space out on me now!"

I looked up at my best friend, shaking my head. "Oh, sorry." I really wanted to ask questions. How did her loan application go? Or was the scholarship back on? Was she out of the red now? But how do I bring up that kind of stuff without offending her? Shouldn't I wait for her to offer this kind of information?

"You should really have expected this, I mean, your two paintings really did well in the auctions." Sarah continued, "By the way, how's the portrait for the Admin building going?"

Distractedly, I replied, "Almost done. Sarah, about your—"

"Hey, ladies!" a cheerful voice interrupted.

Sarah stopped. Wrinkling my eyebrows, I reluctantly looked up into the face of one of the guys from our department, "Hey."

At my reaction, the blonde-haired guy with sea-green eyes filled with mirth. "The event is at two o'clock, Auditorium C."

I quickly shook my head, "Can't. I'm still working on the painting for the Admin."

"Oh, right." he smirked at me, "You should really come see it, Noble."

"If I have time, Thompson." I replied.

That smile, it always spelled trouble and I wanted to graduate in peace. But I was being judgmental, so far he's done nothing but harmless pranks. Plus he was obviously crushing on my best friend and I had to watch his shameless flirting day in and day out. If I were being honest, it was the funniest if not most painful thing. Sarah would blush profusely but overall ignore him... although I'm sensing the feelings were requited. I never said a word and let them play it out. But as we're already graduating, I think Sarah's hesitation stemmed from the fact that the guy was heir to a million-dollar mass media and advertising company.

Speaking of my best friend, I turned to her. Was it just my imagination or has she become statue-still, her pallor going an unhealthy greenish? Thompson turned to her then and the smile grew, "Well then I'll be seeing you alone later, Sarah."

I raised an eyebrow when my best friend stumbled back a bit, stuttering. "S-sure... I guess. I'll see y-you later, M-Manasseh."

"What's going on?" I immediately asked, my eyes going back and forth from Manasseh and Sarah. Sarah was okay just moments ago.

Manasseh Thompson made a disappointed sound, "Didn't tell your best friend, I see."

My eyes narrowed at him, "Didn't tell me what?" then to the girl beside me, "Sarah?"

Sarah's eyes widened. "It's n-nothing..."

I stared at her and she wouldn't make eye-contact. I was testing the waters. Do I ask now?

Just then, another of the student body approached our group. "There you are, Scarlett! We've been looking all over for you. The professor wants to talk to you about our project. It's urgent."

I looked to the sophomore before glancing back to my best friend. "Tell me later? I really need to go now." I then turned to the guy, "Bye, Manasseh."

When Sarah gathered herself to smile, that reassured me. "See you, Scar." She came in to hug me

The guy clucked his tongue, a hand slipping into his pocket. "Manasseh's a mouthful. How many times do I tell you two to call me Seth?"

Manasseh Thompson. Seth. The Seth in my accident.

READ THIS: Hey guys, this is a serious matter and I wish you to take me seriously. If I have to post the new parts in another platform a week earlier than I post it on Wattpad, would you guys still read it? You won't have to pay for it and I'll put up a link you could follow.

Coz I'm seriously hesitating since I'm already enjoying the interaction with my readers here. So I dunno. Thoughts?💛

Don't forget to vote, comment and faaaaan!😘