Chapter 32

Chapter 32 Part 1

Poolside

I watched Marcus and Zachary's serious exchange on the other side of the pool.

In the middle of the amusing exchanges Mara concocted, Zachary's cell started blaring. He'd merely given it a glance and was going to turn it off but I quickly urged him to take it.

"It's important, isn't it?" I'd pushed the phone into his hand and he'd reluctantly taken it.

He'd answered it. I heard the clipped tone he used to whoever was on the other side before he'd walked away. I followed him with my eyes.

"He's busy even on vacation," Lily observed.

Marcus grimaced then, "Because this isn't the time for him to be out of the office." He'd given me a begrudging look as if he wanted to say something.

"Marcus," Zachary had called. And ten minutes later, they were still in the same spot. Still in the same topic, I suppose.

"From experience, I believe that conversation's going to go on for the next two hours." Mara told us.

Lily and I nodded. I didn't mind. And I'd explained to Zach that it was okay.

But the three of us girls left alone like this, there was a sudden silence.

Lily bit her lip, turning to me. "I-I want to... apologize for the t-things Marcus said to you. Especially yesterday. That was uncalled for."

That actually surprised me. I was shaking my head instantly. "No... I think I'm the one who owes you an apology."

Lily looked confused, "Why? What's there to apologize for?"

"Yesterday, my pregnancy and amnesia must've shocked you."

"That's nothing to apologize for," Lily smiled after a pause, and then added softly, "I actually guessed that much. Instincts told me you're pregnant during the party... and you seemed to be lost with everyone. Especially when those three girls came. Marcus and Zachary talk a lot and I overheard once the word amnesia. It wasn't hard to figure out... though it's kind of unbelievable." Then as if embarrassed, she added. "It must be hard for you."

It was. Then I glanced at Zach's back, and remembered his words.

You have me.

I returned my eyes to Lily, "Somehow, I'll manage."

Mara then leaned in, and sighed. "Speaking of Marcus, though I also agree that the way he treats you is uncalled for, it's not completely incomprehensible." Then she grinned at the two of us, "Like I said, we've been best friends since college but I've known them both long before that because our families were close. And I know for a fact that Marcus went a bit off the rails during high school."

She glanced at the guys before continuing her story, "I think the money got to his head—which is typical rich kid problem. But on top of that, Marcus was also a natural genius. And while the rest of our mortal classmates struggled to pass, he flaunted the fact that he could do what he wanted while he maintained straight A's. It got so bad that he would've been expelled and serving jail time if not for his dad. Cash speaks, you know."

I was absorbed in Mara's narration when Lily spoke from beside me, "I didn't know about this."

"You didn't?" Mara perked up at that info, grinning. "Marcus would probably kill me if he finds out I told you. Anyway, back to the story—Marcus graduated high school with good records."