Part 1

The traffic light ahead switched from amber to red. I let out a frustrated sigh and stopped my taxi at the junction. Vehicles zoomed past me, resuming their late-night journeys home.

"Hello, I'm Angela! Thank you for listening to Radio 3 on this beautiful night. If you're still out there driving home, remember to drive safely!" 

I rubbed my eyes and tapped my finger on the steering wheel. Such bad luck today, I thought. I had been cruising empty for the past one hour. I glanced at the roadside directional sign. There was a hospital up ahead. Maybe I could pick someone up from there. 

"Here's my question of the day: Are you happy with who you are right now?" Angela said. "There's no need to call me and give me an answer; I want you to answer this question in your heart. Who never had dreams when we were young? Have you achieved that dream, or are you still working towards it?"

Dreams, huh? I let out a sigh again and lowered the volume of the radio. Which normal teenager would dream to be a part-time taxi driver? Maybe if we had more money, I would have taken up the chance to go to university in a heartbeat. I shook my head to clear my thoughts. Why am I complaining about my parents? It wasn't their fault. My ambitions were just too high. 

"Hello, thank you for calling Radio 3! May I know your name?" Angela spoke. There was a burst of static, then a stranger started to speak.

"I'm Rachel..."

"Hello, Rachel! So, what do you want to share with our listeners tonight?"

Silence ensued for a moment. "I'm actually calling from outside the hospital now. My mum...she's undergoing a major surgery now. I'm scared that...she..." There was another burst of static. I turned off the radio completely. There's no need for distractions now. Radio stations are supposed to just play relaxing songs at night. 

The traffic light turned green. I heaved a sigh of relief and stepped on the gas. When I saved enough money, I'll definitely quit being a night-shift taxi driver. I looked at the advertisement for the local university on the bus in front and smiled.