Chapter 1: The human mind is not programmed to let go

Start from the beginning

Samantha is one of my classmates, and a little ball of sunshine, although she is known as the nerd of the class she's actually the wildest girl I know breaking all stereotypes that nerds don't have fun. I envy that girl, she was born with natural intelligence, while I have to spend hours and hours studying for just a little test.

Last but not least, there's me. I can clearly say that I have no idea why they are my friends, while they are wild at heart and spirit I'm more of an outcast, I keep it all to myself when I'm around people and they know better than to push me into something.

As a fifteen-year-old girl, I have to say I'm quite the perfect daughter, at least when it comes to drugs. I do have my mental issues like any teenager, but my parents - I believe - are quite proud of me.

When I was born, my skin was practically white and my mother said that with my blue eyes wide open I was the epitome of the angel woman described by many romantic authors. So my name was given under those circumstances. Katherine. It means purity and clearness.

Everything that I'm not. Not in terms of purity, I'm quite pure, if you don't add my mental issues that are a big element in my life. But I'm not that clean, my past is not perfect, filled with dark phases and weaknesses. If anything I'm more like nuclear waste.

A few years ago I would consider my cleanness as a real thing in my life, but someone decided to blow it all up.

Cody Robert Simpson, a name that nowadays makes me vomit and break a wall.

He didn't do anything wrong... He just decided to follow his dream and from the information I gathered, I was a dead weight in his life, so I got cut loose. Let's just say that a little insecure eleven-year-old girl didn't take it too well.

What hurt the most was all the promises he made. I'll call every day. I'll visit. I'll always have you in my heart. I'll never forget you.

But as the days, weeks, months and even years passed, I realized that all of that was just sweet words.

His world was now in sunny California, leaving the ones who adored him here in Gold Coast. As he left I had no one else to count on, no one like him, like his lovely self, a bubbly personality, I had no one like him here and suddenly I felt alone in this world.

Depression took over me, as obvious, and as time passed it got worse until I let go. But that's the problem about the human mind, it's not programmed to let go.

Things are clearly better now but the whole depression phase left scars, not only metaphorical ones but also physical ones.

However, after all he did, or what he didn't do, I still miss him, and for five seconds I would like to stare at him and see the man he became.

Turning my thoughts off, I got up and took a trip to the bathroom. My hair, like always, was a blonde beautiful mess. As my classes just started at 10 am, I thought I'd take a shower and call Samantha.

The hot water on my skin felt so good, relaxing even. Just what I needed, a vigorous shower to start the day. I got out of the bathroom wrapped in a towel and choose my outfit for today. I decided to wear a pair of high waist denim shorts, a grey top and a pair of white Converse.

I put my hair up in a ponytail and applied some makeup. I grabbed my bag, my keys and my phone. It was 8:05 am when I finished getting ready.

My mom was working already and my dad is in London on a business trip. My parents aren't very present in my life or my little sister's whatsoever.