"I asked your brother what your favourite curry was," Joe smiled. "I'm not a psychic or a stalker, I promise."

I laughed. "You know, I had wondered."

He smiled, and we ate the meal. It might not have been the most romantic venue, but it didn't matter. It wasn't about where you were or what you were doing; all that mattered was the people you were with. And I was with the most perfect person I could ever wish for.

———

Zoe's PoV
Semi Finals day had dawned, and everyone was freaking out. Today we found out who would make it to the final, and unfortunately we had three opponents rather than just the one. I decided to text our team's group chat, hoping one or two of them were in a positive mood.

Zoe: how's everyone feeling?

Joe: well, I'm about to face my girlfriend for the first time this competition and potentially not the last, so not too great

I felt bad for my brother, I really did. It must be hard facing the person you love. I saw how difficult it was for Briar and Caspar, and they weren't even dating.

Zoe: aw Joe, I know it's tough but this is Internationals, and you can't let personal feelings get in the way of your dancing

Joe: I know, Di said the same. She said we needed to keep our dance lives separate from our personal lives and everything would work out.

Zoe: she's a smart girl

Neil: that's actually really good advice, damn

Anna: it is

Joe: what can I say, I have great taste in girls

I rolled my eyes. Of course Joe would make it about him.

Zoe: anyone else feeling positive? some words of encouragement perhaps?

Jack: nah, sorry

Conor: keep calm and carry on

Jack: what a shitty and generic quote

Conor: shut up Jack, it applies to the situation. I'm a quote guru

Jack: that's not a thing

Conor: it is now

Jack: you can't just make up a thing

Conor: i have freedom of speech and i can do whatever the fuck i please thank you very much

Anna: mum said not to swear

Jack: yeah, god conor

Joe: hate to burst your bubble but you swore too Jack

Jack: how dare thee expose me

Anna: sigh, i have to put up with this all the time

Joe: i'm sorry Anna, it must be tough

Sophia: I actually have quite a few positive quotes that aren't 'shitty and generic'

Zoe: Ooooh, let's hear one!

Sophia: Well, one from Narnia that I like it 'We have nothing if not belief' - like, if we don't believe in ourselves then what do we really have? Even if all seems lost, we're always capable of believing in ourselves.

Cinzia: aw I actually love that. Do you have others?

Sophia: yeah, hold up

Amy: I have a few too actually!

Neil: ooooh go on girls - do share

Amy: well one I can think of off the top of my head probably counts as 'shitty and generic' but it's 'If you can dream it, you can do it'

Jack: not as bad as Conor's but yes still cliché - a really nice one though

Conor: smh

Sophia: Okay, no matter what happens today just remember that from failing you learn, whereas from success you don't really learn much at all. We just have to go out there and have the time of our lives, doing the thing we love the most, okay?

Zoe: you didn't see it but I just nodded

Neil: pep talks with Sophia

Sophia: you didn't see it but I just rolled my eyes

I laughed and put my phone away. Today was going to be a good day, because we were all warriors, and we were going to win, because warriors never fail. We fight.

Dianne's PoV
I hadn't spoken to Joe almost all day. I'd said this morning I'd be too busy focusing on the competition, but it hadn't really been that. I just couldn't let him get in my head. Australia was going to win Internationals, and I would do whatever it took to make sure it happened. Nobody was going to stop me.

"Avengers, assemble!" I said, and our whole team gathered round. I'd created the little Avengers saying after seeing the movie. We were the avengers in my mind. "Now, we're gonna get one of those two spots in the final today. Nobody will stop us. So I need everyone focused, dancing like your lives depend on it, okay?"

They all nodded, and I knew I'd got the perfect team. We were going to win.

Briar's PoV
"WHAT TEAM?" I yelled.

"WILDCATS!" my team yelled back.

"WHAT TEAM?" I repeated.

"WILDCATS!" they yelled even louder. "GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME!"

I grinned. We'd been yelling that longer than I'd been on this team. I don't know who started it, but it had become tradition. High School Musical for life.

"Right, NOBODY will take this victory from us," I said, standing on a chair. "We are going to WIN today. You hear me? We've been given a second chance, and we are so not going to lose it. One of those final spots will be ours, and we're gonna do whatever it takes to get there. What are we gonna do?"

"WHATEVER IT TAKES!" my team yelled.

"WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO?" I repeated.

"WHATEVER IT TAKES!" they echoed.

"HELL YEAH WE ARE!" I bellowed.

All of us were ready as we headed down to the stage, ready to absolute annihilate the competition.

Joe's PoV
"I want you all to remember that whatever happens out there tonight, we're all winners," I said. "Everyone wants to win, to get to the top. But what most people seem to forget is that all the growth and happiness occurs during the climb. The journey to the top is the most important part, and even if we don't get a spot in the finals we've still grown as dancers and as people, and I'm proud of you all. Just breathe. You're capable of anything."

"Hell yes we are," Neil cheered.

"Remember what Shirley always tells us," I said. "Practise like you've never won, but perform like you've never lost."

Everyone nodded. Did we have it in us? I hoped so. I believed so. Please.

Yoooooo so sorry for this massive wait, I've been so super busy! But I'm back on it now (hopefully). Get ready for the semi finals! Also another Joanne fanfic I'm reading has strayed SO far from Joanne and there's barely any Joanne content anymore and it made me realise I'd kinda done the same with this, so I tried incorporating pure Joanne scenes into this chapter and I'm gonna keep trying in each chapter without damaging the plot. Get ready for an emotional rollercoaster though. We're probs like 3/4 of the way through this fanfic now. I'll probably make a sequel because I do have ideas, but I know exactly where this is going now, including which team will win the whole competition and the consequences of that win. Tbh I'm scared to write it.

Anyways, I'll try and update when I can! - B x