Chapter Three: Lionel's Secret

Running a hand through his short brown hair, Lionel grinned listening to his friends and team-mates talk about what they would be doing over their weekend off; he was a little relieved that he had a break for a few days before the new season started up.  

“What about you Leo? What are you doing?” Gerard Piqué asked looking at his friend, he was one of the three people that knew that Lionel was married with a small family; the couple had trusted Gerard, Cesc Fàbregas, Sergio Agüero and their partners with their secret.

“I was thinking of spending some time with my family,” Lionel said softly making his friend nod his head, no one knew that the small argentine hadn't spoken with his family back in Argentina since he had fled the country with Rosalie seven years ago; he had refused to speak with them knowing that it would bring nothing but trouble.

Lionel pulled on his jacket as he thought about his wife of eight years, he was surprised that they had managed to keep their marriage quiet for this long and even more so since her parents were still searching for her.

Diego had seemed heartbroken when he had coached the Argentina national team, Lionel had been surprised that the older man had been so nice to him after how things had ended between them the last time that he had seen him; he had almost seemed apologetic about how things had ended between them.

Lionel had a feeling that it was to do with Rosalie’s disappearance, Sergio had called them after they had fled the country and they knew that Diego and Claudia had been devastated about her disappearance and they weren’t happy when the search had been called off but they hadn't given up.

“Leo, I was wondering what you were doing this weekend? Anna has this friend in town and I think she’d be perfect for you,” Andres Iniesta said looking at the younger man, who paused and started to think of a reason not to meet with another woman that his team-mates wanted to set him up with.

They all worried about their friend, he had never seemed interested in women and none of them could remember the last woman that they had seen him with; they didn't know what it was but it did make them wonder about the argentine.

“I’m actually flying back to Argentina on Friday,” Lionel lied knowing that it would be better to keep this quiet for as long as he could; he would tell them when he was ready that he was married.

Andres nodded his head as he glanced at Xavi, they had slowly started to wonder if their friend was hiding something from them; they didn't know what it was but they were curious about what Lionel did when he was at home.

They knew that Lionel lived in an apartment near the beach while they were playing during the season however he often found time to travel to his home in Castelldefels; however no one had ever seen that home and it made them all wonder why he was so secretive about his private life.

***

“So how is Rosalie?” Cesc asked as the group walked to their cars, he knew that Lionel was excited to go home and see his wife and children; the couple had a six year old daughter called Peyton and a nine month old son called Thiago and it was clear that Lionel doted on them wherever he had the chance.

“She’s good, work’s been keeping her busy and the morning sickness is starting up again,” Lionel said smiling at his friend, he had been thrilled when he had heard that Rosalie was pregnant again; they had always talked about having at least three children and they already had one of each which made Lionel even happier.

Cesc nodded his head, he could see how Lionel lit up when he spoke about Rosalie and the children, Lionel was doing what he could to protect his wife and their small family; however he wondered how long Lionel would be able to keep this quiet.

“Leo, how much longer are you going to keep the rest of the team in the dark?” Cesc asked looking at Gerard, their team-mates are getting suspicious and it made them worry what would happen when the truth came out.

Lionel looked at his friends knowing that they were worried for him, he had been keeping this secret for eight years and some people weren’t going to take kindly to him keeping this a secret.

“I know that I’m being a little selfish but I don’t want to put Rosalie and the children in the spot light like that,” Lionel said looking down at his hands, his gaze lingered on his wedding ring making him swallow; when the time was right that he would be able to show the world that he was happily married and had a family.

Cesc sighed looking at Gerard; the two men looked at one another before Gerard turned back to Lionel and offered him a small weak smile.

“The team think that you might be homosexual… they are considering holding an intervention to help you come out of the closet,” Gerard said making Lionel snort as he shook his head, he knew that his friends were worried about him but he wasn’t about to allow them to push them into doing something that they didn't want to do.

***

“Papa,” Peyton squealed hurrying forward as Lionel climbed out of his Maserati GranTurismo MC Strasdale, he grinned as he moved to pick up his daughter and hold her close; he couldn't believe that the last time that he had seen her was his twenty-sixth birthday.

Lionel held Peyton close for a moment before he moved inside with her, he was used to be careful when it came to his daughter and she was part of the reason that he knew that sooner or later that he was going to have to bring his family into the spotlight that was his life.

“How are you?” Lionel asked smiling down at his daughter, he knew that she’d been spending a lot of time at home since Rosalie was working at home because of the summer holidays; Peyton was just about to enter her second year of school.

“I’ve been good, Mama is in the kitchen,” the blonde girl said smiling up at her father, he nodded his head as he pressed a kiss to her head before he headed into the kitchen; the footballer grinned at the sight of his eight week pregnant wife and their son.

“You’re home early,” Rosalie mused walking over to her husband, she grinned knowing that it had been far too long since the two had been face to face; she handed Thiago over to his father, knowing that Lionel had missed his children while he had been away.

“I missed you,” Lionel cooed as he held their son close, he closed his eyes content for a moment knowing that this is what he was working to protect; he wanted nothing more than to shield his loved ones from the life that he lived and he hoped that they wouldn’t suffer because of him.

Opening his eyes, he looked at Rosalie and smiled, they were beating the odds that had been set against them for marrying young and he hoped that they would only get stronger.